In January 2012 we finished planting the last trees in a 10 - 15m. wide biological corridor along the Rio Sol. This native forest restores the flora and fauna the Maleku tribe depend upon for a full life. We are now maintaining the baby trees which is vital for their survival. Due to their fast growth and the maintenance up until now we only have 3 months of maintenance left on this project.
What is the issue, problem, or challenge?
LRFF & the Maleku planted 35,000 trees along the Rio Sol, creating a continuous biological corridor for many kilometers. Thanks to etnies who purchased the trees from the Maleku, you generous donors at Global Giving and LRFF's donations from the winnings of the Ford Focus video contest WE DID IT!! We've continued maintenance of the corridor for 1 year but have 3 months of maintenance remaining. Without it the trees will be overtaken by native grasses and vines and can't survive.
How will this project solve this problem?
This edited project and your donations will insure that the 35,000 trees survive. The survival of the tree corridor means a restoration of the native forest that used to cover the banks of the Rio Sol. Subsequently, the Maleku recuperate their original forests, the resources their culture depends upon for survival and increased habitat for the resident wildlife waiting for the forest to return.
Potential Long Term Impact
This newly planted corridor connects approximately 10 km of forest along Rio Sol. The 35,000 trees, after 5 yrs. old will remove about 700 tonnes of CO2/yr from the Earth's atmosphere, the Maleku will potentially earn payments for environmental services for community development, employment for the maintenance crew, erosion prevention and increased habitat for the native flora and fauna.
Total Funding Received to Date: $6,026
This project is now in implementation and no longer available for funding. Received funds will be used to accomplish concrete objectives as indicated in the project's "Activities" section. Updates will be posted under the "Project Report" tab as they become available.
Donors' contributions and pledges to this project totaled $6,026 . The original project funding goal was $8,835.