Health and Water Foundation through this program has been able to meet the specific objectives that were envisioned to help 2000 girls learn since the inception of this project in 2007 and all thanks to your provisions.
The specific benefits realized are;
So far, pupils especially girls are now spending more time in school doing class works. This has been realized because:
- Marginalized girls have received school uniforms and are able to attend school confidently and concentrate
- Fewer pupils absent themselves from school due diarrhea and other diseases. These cases have reduced so far.
- School girls are now more comfortable and they are no longer tempted to skip school when they have their periods. The wash rooms provided and the training given have improved their morale and confidence in handling their menstruations
- The risk of molestation and rape cases of schoolgirls has been reduced due to enhanced privacy of sanitary facilities. Girls are no longer spied on nor teased by boys when they visit the toilets/wash rooms
The following outcomes are expected to be realized in the long run.
- Higher levels of education amongst girls.
- Increased empowerment for women
- Reduced disease incidents due to availability of safe water and improved sanitation to children including 40 disabled ones, teachers and staff
Sexual Maturation, FGM and use of Sanitary Towels/Pads.
This training has been conducted to girls and provision of sanitary towels to them, We are making sure that affected girls do not miss school due to lack of sanitary towels and we have developed a mechanism of distributing sanitary towels to 5 schools in Manga District, Kenya.
The outputs were
- Sanitary towels provided for girls.
- Training on general hygiene provided to the teachers.
- Training on alternative initiation rites other than FGM.
The program continues to receive urgent requests for assistance with your help and we aim to reduce sanitation risks in schools in Manga District by constructing toilets in schools as some schools are having a desperate situation; the toilets have collapsed and schools face the prospect of being closed down on health grounds. In order to solve the toilet sanitation issues on toilets we require approximately USD 25,000 in order to construct toilets in five schools.We know your assistance would really help.Thank you.