Thank you for your support for this project. ASHA has received funding for this project, but their work still continues. If you would like to keep up with their activities please check out http://globalgiving.org/projects/train-women-farmers-in-organic-agriculture-nepal project 6056.
In the past year, you have helped ASHA accomplish the following:
• 202 women received training in group fund management, sustainable agriculture, seed saving and compost making.
• 34 women were trained in permaculture design.
• Out of the 25 women trained in goat raising, 15 women are keeping the goats and 5 are using the goats as a major source of income
• 126 women were trained in making compost
• Women’s status has been improved with the freedom to attend group meetings and in the family through family member support in activities
•Women have achieved empowerment:
o Economically, through the ability to save money
o Women can buy their children clothes and food, pay for tuition fees and have the ability to lend money to those in need
o Through community participation
o Through continuous support, monitoring and follow-up by project staff
• Women have gained life-skills and knowledge through trainings, observation visits and exposure visits.
• Women have gained knowledge and skills that help them to be healthy, generate alternative income and perform sustainable agricultural practices.
• Improved group leadership and dynamics
• Improved sanitation
• Involvement of the women groups in various committees
o Four women are working as Female Community Health Volunteers
o Women group members are involved in water supply management and school management committees
• Successfully expanded to 5 new women’s groups (instead of 2 as anticipated)
• Women are beginning to cultivate grass in their waste lands, construct runoff channels in terraces and have a mixed vegetable production system due to their visit to the organic farm.
• Women’s interest has increased since the organic vegetable fair which has inspired them to market their organic goods.
Together you have strengthened communities of women to develop their skills and better equip themselves with the tools and knowledge to empower themselves, increase their families’ income, and protect their natural resources.