Capacity building to empower burn rehabilitation professionals
The Sunshine team in charge of carrying out training for burn rehabilitation professionals in Central America arrived in Managua, Nicaragua on October 3, 2013. Participants from Central America also arrived on the same day. This year's training brings together:
- One therapist and one seamstress from the Hospital del Niño, Panama
- One therapist and two seamstresses from Fundación Cristiana de Asistencia a Quemados (CRISAQ), Honduras
- One therapist and one seamstress from the Clinica de Quemaduras Infantiles, Guatemala
- One physiotherapy doctor and one seamstress from UNIQUEM, Domenican Republic
- Three therapists and one seamstress from Asociacion Pro Niños Quemados de Nicaragua (APROQUEN), Nicaragua
Each organization represented in this program provides comprehensive burn rehabilitation services to children in the Central America region.
Before beginning the training proper, the Sunshine team and the participants took some time to share experience and review the impact of the 2012 training a year later. Each team of therapist and seamstress prepared Powerpoint presentations, demonstrating through "Before-After" pictures the changes that have occurred in their pressure garment production techniques following the last two years of training.
These presentations not only showed improvements in the pressure garments (better techniques result in better fit and better outcome), but they also allowed us to see the changes in the seamstresses themselves. Seeing them report about their work, their difficulties and how they try to address them, it was obvious to us that they have more confidence in their abilities and feel secure about their position in the burn rehabilitation team. The presentations also allowed us to see the cooperation between the therapists and the seamstresses, which is crucial in the pressure garment production process.
The training is not only about teaching better pressure garment production techniques. It is also about empowering the burn professionals by giving them the tools and knowledge that will allow them to provide better services, confident in their abilities.