The women in our project
Dear sir/ Madam,
Thank you for your great support for helping women from our community to study how to read, write and calculate.
We are very happy to inform you that on July 26, 2013 we will close our second term academic year 2013
The following activities are we had planned to work on during this second term:
- Teaching students how to construct a sentence.
- Teaching women’s rights.
- Teaching business skills
- Buying teaching materials.
So far, the women have learnt to read all the alphabets. Now they can read sentences and write letters by themselves.
Two students have already opened their own bank accounts which will help them to save money, feed their families and run their small projects.
These women are joining different self-reliant groups which help them to develop their families and learn from others.
In our class 3 women had already registered to the local government for legal marriage. This is an amazing achievement that is beneficial as it gives a woman full rights to access her family’s property.
One part of our operating cost is covered by the raised money from GlobalGiving donations as well as different fundraising activities including the performance of the dance troop.
The following are the challenges that we have:
- We are still unable to regularly pay the teachers' salaries.
- We are still having shortfalls in our monthly operating costs such as buying chalks, books, etc
- We are still renting some of the costumes of the dancing troop that helps us in fund raising.
Our plan for the next term:
- Teaching the women about their rights.
- Encouraging the women to send their daughters to school, open their own bank account in order to be able to save money for their families.
- To train them so that they can have self esteem and participate in the decision making committees in the community.
- To encourage them to have legal marriage, so that a child and the mother can have right to access the family property.
- Teaching them about different topics for personal development, and teach them business skills which will help them to raise income in their families.
- Mobilize the women to join cooperatives which will help them to combine their efforts with others and have sustainable development.
- Encourage the young students in our program to join public school, so that they can be able to continue their studies up to secondary school as soon as they graduate from our program.
In your opinion what do you think is the best approach to having a society that respects women’s rights? What else do you think we can include in next year our program of teaching women reading, writing and calculating for 2014 intake?
It is always promising to see how the life of our graduates improves day by day. Thank you once again for your partnership, and it will always be our pleasure to share with you our progress. Any support from you is warmly welcome. Please remember to visit our project and show it to your friends. We wish to stay in touch with you.
Thank you very much!
The youngest dancer fundraising for our project
The middle age dancers fundraising for our project