Enoo Bhatti is a village area near Lahore that, while being close to one of the largest cities of Pakistan, children of the area were forced into labor due to poverty, and education was not regarded with value. The government schools were highly inadequate and the parents were not satisfied with the education system in their village.
In 2006, HDF constructed a child friendly school system for the community. The school started with 187 students, and now educates almost 300 children.
School activities include annual health screenings, vaccinations, tree plantation around the school, teacher's training, & education campaigns among other initiatives. We are planning a sports day in Spring 2014 for students.
Here are some highlights of the school's activities:
1) New Academic Session: An enrollment campaign was organized for awareness about education as well as to target out of school children. For this purpose, students and teachers, along with a community PTA, reached out to school- aged children for enrollment.
2) Provision of free books: Academic books were provided to all the students of HDF Secondary School for the session 2013-14.
3) Academic Camp for Students & Homework Group Activity: An Academic Camp was arranged during vacations for academically weak students. The teaching staff was told about the importance of curriculum development and motivating students.
4) Monthly Monitoring: To ensure quality education in HDF schools, the Education Coordinator visits the school once a month for monitoring purpose. During the visit, the Education Coordinator keenly observes all aspects of the school including record keeping, management, and guides teachers about accurate assessment of learning outcomes, use of time, teaching learning strategies, examinations and assessment.
5) In-service Teacher Training: A 6 days in-service teacher training was arranged for all teachers for capacity enhancement and curriculum development.
6) Debate & Quiz Competition: Inter- school level debate and quiz competition was organized in the school in which students from HDF schools participated.