A reportTaiz Zoo, a means of protection from extinction
May 2023 AD
(Republic of Yemen)
project name : Taiz Zoo is a means of protection from extinction
The project Location : Zoo - Taiz Governorate
The name of the organization applying for the scholarship:
Sanid organization For Nature conservation (SONC )
Report duration : 3 months
starting date : 1/ March 2023 Expiry date : May 2023
Organization address : Capital Municipality - Directorate of Shoub - Al Habari
phone number : 0096701231477
Prepared the report : Muhammad Abu Haider
Current Position : project manager
E-mail : Programs.firstname.lastname@example.org
mobile number : 00967 775907606
Organization's website : www.sanid.org
An overview of the tragic situation in Yemen
Zoo in Taiz Governorate - Republic of Yemen .
The zoo in Taiz suffers greatly from a lack of liquidity that maintains its continued activity and enables it to take care of the animals in it by taking care of them and providing them with various meals according to each type of animal in the zoo and the continuous administrative apparatus. Those who lost their source of livelihood because of the war . The lack of care and protection for the animal species in the zoo is a serious matter that may cause disease or death as a result of the severe shortage in the provision of healthy and food vehicles.
The project aims to provide adequate nutrition for the animal species in the zoo .
Establish a model slaughterhouse in the zoo .
Provision of refrigerators to store food, medicines and vaccines
. Provide optimal health care for all animals in the zoo .
Providing all the requirements of preventive, curative and diagnostic health care tools and materials such as devices, medicines, nutritional supplements, vaccines and vitamins. Make environmentally and behaviorally appropriate adaptations for all animatronics
The project aspires to rehabilitate the zoo in a way that helps it continue to receive its visitors, whose existence depends largely on the services provided in the zoo that will be covered by the project, and therefore it will have a strong financial support that will help it continue. provide its services in the long term .
Activities carried out during the period from March to May:
Due to what the zoo in Taiz governorate is going through in terms of scarcity in capabilities, it resulted in a lack of interest from the official authorities in the garden, which led to a deterioration in the conditions of the garden, the most important of which is the spread of diseases among the animals in the garden as a result of the lack and inability of the health side (veterinary) and also as a result of the lack of food, so these two elements were the biggest challenge it faced Sand Organization for Nature Conservation during this period intensified its efforts despite the meager funding and scarcity of resources, but the organization was mainly concerned at this stage in taking care of the animals inside the garden in terms of health and nutrition in order to preserve the animals from death as a result of disease and hunger, as it considered that this is the most important thing that can be implemented.
SANED has carried out the following activities :
Because of the lack of drainage of the airport water, it led to stagnation of water in the yards and wards of the park in which the animals are present for long periods, in addition to its mixing with waste and garbage.
- The organization carried out 3 meetings with the concerned official and popular authorities in Taiz Governorate in order to study the status of the park and find out the causes of its deterioration and the consequences of that, and the need to develop an appropriate solution to address the deteriorating situation of the park and search for sufficient funding to preserve the life of the animals in the park that suffer from disease and hunger
- . Two veterinarians have been appointed to review the health conditions of the animals and contribute to their treatment. by the Office of Agriculture.
- A joint committee of the organization, the Environmental Protection Authority, the Tourism Office and the Agriculture Office was formed to prepare a plan to protect the animals in the park and improve their health and nutritional status, as well as the appearance of the park.
- Implementing a health campaign to treat some animals by contracting with 2 veterinarians for a week, during which many animals were treated. f) Providing nutritional supplements , vaccines and vitamins through veterinarians.
- Providing a number of detergents, sterilizers, and treatments to treat animals that have been wounded.
- Drainage of rainwater from those sites, as the period is considered a period of heavy rain.
- Provide food for the animals in the garden, each type with appropriate food. The most important of which are deer wild .
Birds are under the supervision of a veterinarian:
- Continuing to follow up on the conditions in Taiz Park and other zoos, monitoring events on an ongoing basis in what animals go through in these zoos, the most important of which are zoos in Sana’a and Taiz, reviewing the health conditions in which the many animals live, taking care of them in the gardens, counting the damages they suffer, and submitting reports to the competent authorities.
- Conducting awareness sessions among the community surrounding the park, as well as the official and community stakeholders, on the need to preserve biodiversity in the Republic of Yemen, as the organization considers protecting the environment as protecting natural resources and their sustainability for future generations.
The most important challenges and difficulties:
- Scarcity of capabilities and lack of support for these activities.
- Low attention and care for these animals and lack of sufficient financial allocations to the extent that there are no monthly salaries to provide them to all workers in the park, is also considered in relation to the management of the park and lack of sufficient financial allocations to the extent that there are no monthly salaries to provide them to all employees in the park, and this would lead to a decrease in interest and care these animals urgently and inescapably .
- High level of community awareness of the importance of protecting animals and caring for the environment, particularly parks as a park for visitors and for the protection of animals.
- The interaction of the competent authorities with the activities carried out by SANED.
- Low treatment and food due to scarcity of financial capabilities.
- The community's feeling of love, appreciation, and thanks to globalgiving for cooperation and assistance to Yemen, and hopes to increase support to achieve the project's goals and protect animals in the gardens.
- Increasing financial support to provide adequate food and medicine for zoo animals.
- Improving the appearance of the garden and reclaiming the seating areas.
- Providing salaries for the garden staff to carry out their duty towards the garden.
- Continuous cleanliness and non-accumulation and stagnation of rain water in the garden yards, especially near animals.