Women in Nepal have low status within the family and society. Illiteracy, early marriage, poverty imposes the greatest hindrance to enhancing equal opportunity and status for girls and women. The decade long armed conflict in Nepal escalated the status of women to more vulnerability. These influences underlie the migration process in Nepal and increase their vulnerability of young women and girls to trafficking and sexual abuse. The girls and women, to save their lives were compelled to leave their home places and migrate into cities, especially Kathmandu to seek sustainable livelihoods and secure future. Lacking education, skills and knowledge, these ignorant girls and women from villages are pushed to the entertainment sector and are obliged to perform any tasks they are asked to, for the survival imperatives. The dance bars, massage and cabin restaurant opened in an unmanaged way in different parts of Kathmandu has the higher trend of involving these girls as sex workers for profit making.
Raksha Nepal (RN) in its working year of 9 has done several activities for the protection and dignified survival of these girls and women working in the dance bars, massage parlors and cabin restaurants. RN when established a women shelter in 2009, has always been realizing the need of shelter for the children of these women too.
Raksha Nepal in its own initiation has started the shelter home for the children of women working in the so called entertainment sectors as well as who are sexually harassed and exploited. These children are born without the recognition of their fathers and have no appropriate place to live and food to eat. These mothers are not even capable of fulfilling the fundamental requirement of their children the other educational rights of the children are still to be touched by them. Realizing this scenario of children and keeping the main goal of the organization to protect the target group from the trap to prostitution, RN has been providing capacity building training to the girls and women from this sector. Moreover, by providing the safe transit home to their children as well as those girls who have been victims of rape and sexual abuse, RN is keeping them safe. In its home, RN provides them with food, shelter, education, health services. Currently, the number of children has increased to 30 from 25 who are from 2 to 14 years of age. Out of them 20 are girls and 10 are boys, who are studying from nursery to grade 10.
This child safe home does not have any regular donor, but is run with the individual donations. Some of the donors support them with school fee, some with uniforms and some with stationery and food, etc. That is the reason why RN is always in search of donors for sustainably running of this safe transit home.
- With start of the new session of the school, 30 children were re-enrolled. In the beginning of the class, those who got first, second and third place in the previous exams, were awarded with small gifts from the school. About 10 from the RN transit home were amongst those who received the award.
- At the time of this report, children have already completed their 1st term exams. with good results.
- Two national volunteers have started to give tuition to all the children, which is also helping them with their day to day studies.
- The day for the children in the safe home begins with meditation followed by taekwondo basic training lasting 1 to 1 and half hrs. In the same context the these children received the best march past award organized at the district level taekwondo competition in this quarter.
- 7 children’s birthday was celebrated during this quarter. Two well wishers celebrated their birthday with the RN safe home children.
- During the children’s school break, they received Art Therapy class organized by the volunteers of different nationalities in Raksha Nepal. This process helped children to express their feelings through the artwork.
- Various traditional and cultural festivals are also celebrated in the safe home so that the children understand the value of such occasions, such as mother’s day was one of them.
Greetings from Nepal
We would like to thank you very much from the organization and all children at safe home. We are very pleased to get support from your side. It's very valuable for all children. Currently they are regularly going to school and are staying at shelter safely. But due to irregular donations, we are struggling to give a better life these children. Hence, we still are seeking for regular support from the donors. Your small donation can change some children’s life for better. Please help us to help them in future as well.
Thank you very much for your great support.
Rabin Malla and Raksha Nepal Team
Birthday kids with traditional scarf...