Dear Friends and Well Wishers,
In months of July, August and September 2010, eight children were admitted into Sri Arunodayam. Four children were transferred to other homes, two children were re-united with their families and two children passed away. Thankfully, no run away cases happened.
In July –Two children were admitted in the hospital for treatment. For the newly admitted children, we conducted the assessment and set goals for them to achieve. We located Dinesh’s parents and on 23rd July, it was a joyful re-union for him with his family.
In August – All the children were given a refreshing haircut. We conducted a master health check up and sought the opinion of Neurologist for the newly admitted children. Four children were admitted in the hospital. We documented the stories of all the children at Sri Arunodayam.
In September – We conducted a master health check up for the newly admitted children. Marimuthu, an adult resident of Sri Arunodayam was admitted in the hospital.
The Infant Care Unit
This is the most heart rending unit at Sri Arunodayam. Miniature beauties, formed a little different than the rest of us, they are such bundles of joy. Wonder how their parents had the heart to abandon these gifts from heaven. You must visit us to agree on this. Anyhow, here is a virtual tour into the Infant Care Unit. Infants from 0-3 years are provided care and shelter in this unit. They endure multiple conditions such as mental retardation, visual, multiple disability, limb deformation...
These infants are all placed in one room. Each infant is unique and so are its needs. Some like to be left alone while some cuddle close to the other infants or the care givers. Some cry, smile and respond while others lay still looking into the void. Presently, there are eighteen infants. Four caregivers are with the children round the clock. The infants are totally dependent, they are fragile, highly sensitive and the distress of abandonment lingers in them. Every hour, the care givers carry each infant for a few minutes and cuddle them warmly. These children are under constant paediatric supervision and we feed the infants based what the Paediatricians prescribe. We provide Physiotherapy for those children who require therapy to enable them achieve their developmental milestones.
At Sri Arunodayam, a care giver is more a mother than an employee. They are dedicated, involved, affectionate and emotionally attached to the children. When a child falls sick, they fret, sit up the whole night to attend on the child and do not rest till the child regains good health. Under the care of such warm hearted care givers, the infants do overcome the anguish of being separated from their biological parents.
The role of Yoga
When we decided to introduce Yoga for our children, we were not very sure about the benefits. Today, we see that Yoga has brought about a whole lot of difference in the lives of our children. Two trainers from Krishnamacharya Yoga Mandiram, Chennai, visit our facility twice a week and train the children to perform yogasanas. During the other days in the week, the Special Educators train the children to practise the yogasanas. This is a comprehensive program is safe, gentle, therapeutic and designed to enhance the development of children with special needs. We have realised that it helps to improve the concentration and channelize the energies of children who are hyperactive. It has helped the children to strengthen their bodies and make them more flexible. Yoga program was initially for our Pre-primary and Primary children. Seeing their progress, we have now introduced it to children in the Early Intervention category as well.
We are happy that our children enjoy performing yogasanas. It enhances their growth and development and has turned out to be an important feature of our rehabilitation program.
- The Joy of Giving week was celebrated from 24th – 30th September. We raised funds for the Battle of Buffet, which was held on 30th September. It was a successful event.
- Arasar Muthaiah Arivoli Manram conducted an eye camp for our children.
- Care Giver Mr.Balu attended the Parent-Teacher meet for Ankeet who is now mainstreamed into Kalki Ranganathan Monford School, Chennai.
- Special Educators Ms.Maheswari and Ms.Radha attended the Special Educators Association meeting.
- At Madanankuppam new building, the roof of the first floor was laid on 29th July.
- On 18th July students and faculty from Dhanalakshmi Engineering College visited Sri Arunodayam and donated funds.
- World Vision conducted a capacity building program which was attended by our special educators.
- The Department of Social Defence conducted a training program on the Juvenile Justice System which was attended by Iyyappan Subramanian.
- We celebrated Independence Day, Ramzan and Vinayaka Chathurthi.
- On 15th August students and faculty from Jaya College of Engineering visited Sri Arunodayam.
- Special Educators Maheswari and Poongothai attended a training program on various types of communication, conducted by The Clarke’s School for the Deaf.
- Mrs.Suganya facilitated the Art of Living program for our staff.
Thanks for your time!
(Founder Managing Trustee - Sri Arunodayam Charitable Trust)