Inside of the newly painted bus
I hope the school year is off to a great start for you and your families. This is Sophia Zaia, newly inducted Co-Director of Expand Casa Hogar writing to you with my first report on recent urgent updates at Casa Hogar!
I spent the last 5 weeks at Casa Hogar in Oaxaca, Oaxaca, and returned to my home in Austin two days ago. During my time at Casa Hogar, I saw many shining faces, as the number of children residing under Coco's loving care has now reached 55. There are many new developments--a talented new cook, a fresh paint job on the bus which now displays a rainbow of little hand prints, and the focus of this report--further developments on the purchasing of land and building of the new house which Expand Casa Hogar has been working hard to fund.
When my sister and Co-Director Ariana Zaia reported last on July 12th of this year, she explained:
- "The land they would like to buy is divided up into two parts with unique owners.
- Piece #1 includes the one bedroom building and is 25x10 meters in dimension.
- Piece #2 is also 25x10 meters in dimension but with no existing structures.
- Both property owners are asking far too much for their land. The owner of piece #1 is asking for more or less $42,307 US dollars. The owner of piece #2 is asking for more or less $34,615 US dollars.
Coco says the pieces of property are very over priced, and they are (despite the fact that Oaxaca has one of the highest property values in all of Mexico)."
In the last few weeks, the situation has changed:
- The price for Piece #1 now exceeds $900,000 MXN (about $68,000 US).
- The price for Piece #2 is now $609,000 MXN (just over $46,000 US).
- The owner of Piece #2 has become ill and will lower the price if we can act quickly. If we can raise the money by October 15th, she will lower the price by 10%. If we can raise the money by September 15th, she will lower the price by 20%.
Setting Piece #1 on the backburner, Dona Coco and Expand Casa Hogar have made it a mission to raise the $24,000 US we are missing in order to make the purchase on September 15th. The 20% discount will save us $9,300 US.
Coco is currently in possession of land in another state and parts from two buses which she is willing to sell in order to reach the deadline, but this alone will not be enough.
Please help us to reach this goal! Many of you have already shared generously financially, and we thank you from the bottom of our hearts. Continued actions such as sharing the cause on Facebook, through email or through word of mouth, and liking us on Facebook in order to receive updates on the campaign, are invaluable. Please help us spread the word and meet the $24,000 US goal which we have under one month to complete!
Thank you so much for your time and support!
Jonathan, the newest arrival to Casa Hogar!
New paint job on the bus
Maria playing in the bus
Tia's Birthday Party on August 2nd