Sebastian & New Friends in IDP Camp
On October 13th, I embark on a 6-week trip to Central America and Haiti to visit the international programs of Trees, Water & People (TWP). November 5-18, I will be in Haiti and below are a few of my key itinerary activities while there:
- Arrive in Port au Prince and conduct analysis of Rocket stove distribution and monitoring of 7,000 household stoves with our partner, International Lifeline Fund (ILF).
- Discuss next steps the development of a comprehensive National Stove Strategy for institutional and household stoves in Haiti.
- Visit original beneficiary families of TWP emergency relief stoves in Sineas Camp, Port au Prince.
- Visit new beneficiary families in Corail and Isa Tabare.
- Participate in United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) meeting to develop the National Improved Stove strategy in conjunction with the Haitian Government (TWP has an advisory role to the working group).
- Visit beneficiaries of TWP’s stove project in the Central Plateau of Haiti, as well as reconnect with the MPP – a rural peoples movement that is very interested in promoting fuel-efficient stoves to their 61,000 members. They have an abandoned ceramics facility that could become the foundation of a new local stove factory.
- Visit northern Haiti to assess access to raw materials for stove building through ports and overland crossings from the Dominican Republic.
Also, I’m excited to announce that Trees, Water & People’s 1,344 Stoves for Haitians Displaced by Earthquake project will be featured in GlobalGiving’s October Give More Get More Matching Campaign. Make a donation between October 12 (10pm MST) and October 21, and GlobalGiving will match it 30%, 40%, or 50%, based on the amount – the larger the donation, the larger the match - until the $100,000 available matching funds run out! In addition, GlobalGiving is offering a $1,000 bonus to the project that raises the most funds during the matching campaign and another $1,000 bonus to the project that receives donations from the most individual donors.
$10 - $499 = 30% match
$500 - $999 = 40% match
$1,000 - $2,500 = 50% match
Please share this opportunity with your family, friends, colleagues, and community and help us help Haiti! This is a great way to make your generous gift go even further and reach our goal of providing 1,344 Haitian families with safer, healthier, fuel-efficient stoves. Donate today before the matching funds are are all gone!
I look forward to providing an update on my Haiti trip when I return.
With much gratitude,
Deputy International Director