Beat Tube Ensemble: Learning Through Music
Story Tapestries, Inc.
With art, understanding; with understanding, community
Every year, at this time, we, as an organization, make a list of what we accomplished last year as an arts and education organization and we assess our future strategic plan. Last year, we met during the summer and came up with a new five year plan. HOWEVER, personally as the Executive Director,I always take a moment at the end of one year and start of another to create a list of dreams. Many of these resolutions listed below are a huge part of our mission and vision.
Our mission is to expose communities, nationally and internationally, to the concept of arts integration as a multi-faceted arts approach that seeks to affect all aspects of a person’s development and life.
Our vision is to create a world-class network of artists, educators, businesses and community members empowered to educate and encourage people to integrate the arts into their lives.
What happened last year???
- Given more than $11,000 in funds to organizations in Maryland, DC, and Virginia who otherwise couldn't afford programming
- Partnered with 4 DC public schools to provide free or reduced cost residency programs
- Partnered with National Children's Museum to present a performance and workshop mini-series at their Launch Zone (sponsored by ST)
- Applied and Recently became a America’s Promise Alliance National Partner
- Established a strong network of trained artists that are prepared to deliver customized programs with the Story Tapestries approach
- Established a system for schools, libraries, museums and community centers to request monetary support for programs
- Identified an accomplished advisory team of educators, librarians, community leaders and parents we meet with on a monthly basis to assess the needs of greater region
What are your New Year's Resolutions?
Our company will:
- Engage entire communities to work together to transform the way children learn.
- Increase the number of students who graduate from high school and move on to college.
- Raise the literacy and math level of the students in the school systems we work with on a daily basis.
- Strive to increase the amount of physical activity teachers will use in the classroom to stimulate the brain.
- Donate twice as many books to families as we did last year.
- Provide twice as many free programs to families, communities and schools who need support.
- Raise twice as much money as last year.
As an organization, we will continue to accomplish these tasks by working with the entire community connecting the parents/grandparents to the teachers/libraries/after school programs to the administration to ultimately the superintendents and those who are creating policy. We need to make this network stronger in order for our children to grow into the healthy, successful individuals we wish they will become.