This has been a very busy quarter for the GVI Trust in Laos!
September marks the beginning of the 2018-2019 Academic year and with this our annual educational sponsorships! We have also continued to provide classroom rental for students to gain greater access to educational opportunities, provided funding to the Menstrual Health Initiative and provided funding support for the Luang Prabang Children’s Library and the Nan District Learning Centre.
During this quarter, we provided 60 sponsorships to 58 individual students. Of these 58 students, 24 are male (41.4%) and 34 are female (58.6%). This has greatly increased Lao students access to educational opportunities which works towards UN SDG 4: Quality Education and UNSDG 5: Gender Equality.
- 20 students for 1 year at high school (3 male, 17 female)
- 12 students for 1 year at the Bright Centre Nam Thuam (5 male, 7 female)
- 6 students for 1 year at university (6 male)
- 5 students for 1 year at the Bright Centre Luang Prabang (4 male, 1 female)
- 4 students for 1 year at English for Everyone (2 male, 2 female)
- 3 students for 1 year at finance college (1 male, 2 female)
- 3 students for 1 year at Teacher Training College (3 female)
- 1 student for 1 year at Medical college (Nursing Degree) (1 female)
- 1 student for 1.5 years Primary School fees in Nam Thuam (1 male)
- 1 student for 1 year at Lovan college (1 male)
- 1 student for 1 year at Rattana Business college (1 male)
- 1 student for 1 year at Pre-School (1 female)
- 1 student for 1 year at Lao Korean College Vientiane (IT studies) (1male)
- 1 student for 1 year at Lao Korean College Vientiane (Korean Language studies) (1 male same as above)
In addition, 29 students school uniforms and educational materials for the school year were also supported. 2 students were also provided bicycles to more safely and efficiently get to their schools. 1 student received funds for medical support and has recovered well and 1 students received funds to travel to take university entrance exams in Vientiane (where he is now studying!).
We have provided our annual donations to the Luang Prabang Children’s Library and the Nan District Learning Centre. Last year these funds were allocated to teacher’s salaries to keep the library and learning centre staffed and to new bookshelves that provide a organised educational space for the students. This year the funding will again be used for teacher’s salaries and forbuilding and facility improvements for the students.
The GVI Trust continues to support educational opportunities through finances for classroom rental in Luang Prabang that has increased educational opportunities for 98 students.
The GVI Trust has provided funding support for costs the Laos Menstrual Health Initiative and held a fundraising challenge to ensure it’s continued support. The funding has been used for materials to sew the sustainable reusable menstrual health kits and the transport to get these kits and Lao certified menstrual health trainers to rural and remote areas to distribute them and deliver education workshops on menstrual health. To date, this program has reached 699 women and girls in Laos.
Overall, we have contributed significantly towards education and health initiatives and programs in the Lao community. We have achieved our goal of sponsoring 100 students in Laos through our Luang Prabang and Nam Thuam sponsorship programs, have supported the growth and reach of the Laos Menstrual Health Initiative and have contributed to other educational support in the community through classroom rental, uniforms, educational materials and educationally related transport.
Thank you for your continued contribution and commitment to the GVI Trust Program in Laos. We look forward to working together to continue to provide these opportunities in Laos in to 2019.
Laos Program Manager