HELP THE BONOBO PEACE FOREST GROW!
At this season of the year, we are filled with gratitude for the caring and generosity of people like you. Your donations on Global Giving’s Bonus Day (a record-breaking event for us!) and throughout 2011 have enabled BCI to build upon our extraordinary achievements in the Congo rainforest. Thanks to you, our vision for the Bonobo Peace Forest—an integrated chain of community-managed reserves is becoming a reality...
- Two nature reserves spanning 12,000 square miles—the size of Massachusetts and Rhode Island combined
- Accords in place and projects initiated in ten key sites where bonobos are protected by local people
- More than 250 conservationists and eco-guards working daily
- Community development programs, including a health clinic, sustainable agriculture programs, scholarships, and microcredit for women
- Initiated the first reforestation project in the bonobo range
- Established the first college for sustainable rural development in the bonobo habitat
You are a vital partner as we continue our mission in 2012 to protect bonobos, preserve the rainforest, and empower the Congolese people to lead conservation efforts. We’ve made tremendous strides and we need your help now to keep our work going strong!
The progress is encouraging, but the situation for many bonobos remains dire. This year, we performed surveys in two regions, which have shown that in the areas where eco-guards and monitoring teams are active and communities are committed to conservation, the bonobos are thriving. But in areas where such protections do not exist, bonobos are struggling for survival—or have disappeared entirely. We need more eco-guards, more boots on the ground.
See what your donation helps us do!
Click below to view our full-size 2011 interactive progress map. You can scroll over the project sites to see pictures and a short description of our efforts. A PDF version of the map is also available below.
Thank you sincerely for your support. Your donation makes all the difference!