April 04, 2016
Karmirhath Hospital is located at Gaibandha, a small rural town in the North-West Corner of Bangladesh. The hospital has been serving the people of Gaibandha and the surrounding districts since 1986. The Eye Care Section of the Hospital holds Cataract Surgery Session every month. During the last three months 1,680 eye patients were treated at the hospital. Cataract operations were conducted on 94 patients.
Karmirhath Hospital has been popular due to two reasons:
- One Ophthalmologist, Dr. Abdus Samad has been serving Karmirhath Hospital for 21 years with widespread reputation. Another Ophthalmologist, Dr. Mokhlesur Rahman has been serving for over 15 years with equally widespread reputation. Patients are very satisfied with their sincere and caring services.
- Karmirhath has been partnering with GlobalGiving Foundation since 2009. Since then patients have come to know that there are good-hearted people overseas, who donate for the treatment of poor patients in third world countries like Bangladesh. This fact has been attracting poor patients to come to Karmirhath Hospital for treatment.
- Amiron (not her real name);
Amiron, 55 years of age, is a widow and has four children. Her husband died ten years ago.
She lives about 10 kilometers away from Karmirhath hospital. She is very poor. She had
problems in her eyes for quite a few years. She did not go to any doctor for want of money.
About a year ago, her son took her to a doctor who told her that she might be having
Cataract and advised her to go to Karmirhath hospital. Her son who himself is very poor,
took her to Karmirhath hospital. An Eye Specialist examined Amiron and recommended
her for Surgery. Surgeon performed cataract surgery..
- Monarul Huq (not his real name):
Aged 68 years, Monarul Huq is an agriculture labor. He is poor. He developed problems in his eyes but, being poor, could not afford treatment. One social worker took Monarul to karmirhath hospital where he was admitted and got free treatment.
- Sahabani (not her real name):
Aged about 70 years, Sahabani is a resident of nearby village called Joypara. in Gaibandha town. She was a domestic help and as such unable to arrange treatment for her eye problem. For long, doctors could not diagnose his eye problems. About a months ago, she came to Karmirhath hospital. Dr. Abdus Samad, examined her eyes and found that she had cataract. Operation was conducted for removing cataract. She was not charged any fee.
Free treatment were given to all the patients. This has been possible due to liberal donations from GlobalGiving.
M Abdus Sobhan