Rescue, Rehabilitation and Repatriation of victim girls/women/children of Human Trafficking who are sold for forced prostitution.
Aims & Objectives
- To investigate and rescue by decreasing the period of exploitation, torture and violence on children and young girls being trafficked into sex trade in Maharashtra;
- To ensure quality post rescue care and support services to the victims of sex trafficking through institutional care;
- To provide safe and protective environment to the girls in order to make them confident and enabling to seek justice in the court of law;
- Proper and quick prosecution and conviction of various actors involved in the trafficking and exploitation of the child/ girl.
- Prepare the girls to move from being a victim to a survivor by becoming socially, psychologically and economically self- sufficient and enabling;
- Appropriate reintegration and rehabilitation of the rescued survivor keeping both the best interests of the girl as well as her right to participation in decisions that impacts her life.
- Rescue Foundation have established an office in New Delhi (Mayur Vihar) for Investigation & Rescue. In 2011 we have conducted 20 rescue raids in & nearby to Delhi with the output of 104 girls rescued. Most of them are Minor girls.
- Currently, the Jewelry Program at Boisar & Mumbai consists of 33 young women in the metalsmithing program, and, four in the beading program consisting of HIV positive, young women residing at on-site hospital. The main goal of the Program is to train the survivors in basic metalsmithing and fabricate production lines.
- We have intensified and increased our investigation at Delhi, Meerut & Allahabad as there are more minor girls being trafficked from Nepal & Bangladesh directly to Delhi, Meerut & Allahabad due to large population of slums these cities are becoming major Hub for distribution & having large red light area.
Currently The Foundation has a Staff of about 92 members, including the president, a Project Executive, Advocates, Probation Officers, Counselors, Doctors and other administrative staff.
Investigation and Identification:
- We investigate and verify the identity & location of a particular missing complaint or investigation reports regarding existence of minor girls in a particular brothel, complain register by networking NGOs in India (West Bengal and Hyderabad), Nepal and Bangladesh.
- At the time of in-brothel counseling, one particular girl is identified or selected.
- At the time of rescue, we end up rescuing numerous girls as one particular girl counseled by us, in turn counsels her other friends in the brothel who become very willing to be rescued.
- Investigation is a very risky operation as if the investigator is recognized by the brothel keeper as a person associated with us, he gets mercilessly beaten up.
- Investigation is also a very lengthy operation as the investigator cannot visit the brothel frequently. Moreover he needs many visits to conduct in brothel counseling in order to gain trust of the victim.
- We conduct rescue raids accompanied by Police. This is a very risky operation.
- Many times due to leakage of information, mostly minor girls are hidden by the brothel keepers in the hidden cells. These cells are built into the walls and ceilings of the brothels. We locate such cells and liberate the girls hidden in the cells.
- After rescue, the rescued girls are produced in the court within 24 hours by the police.
- The court decides which girls to be handed over to Rescue Foundation for safe custody and rehabilitation.
- Once the girls are admitted to our Protective Home, an employed Doctor checks all the girls and treats them for the illness. Almost all are suffering from one disease or the other. They are then taken to a nearby hospital & laboratory for age verification and advanced consultancy & check-ups of blood, urine etc. if necessary.
- All the necessary medicines and consultations are given free of cost.
- Basic treatment for early stage HIV/AIDS is given by us but any advanced treatment is not possible as the cost of consultancy and medication is prohibitively expensive.
- We also are in the process of establishing a Recovery Care Centre for HIV girls at Boisar, 85 kms away from Mumbai for about 25 to 30 HIV patients. About 35% of the girls rescued by us are HIV positive.
- We file complaints in court of law and produce them as witnesses. Our employed lawyer assisted by probation officers manages the legal Issues.
- We have been successful in obtaining convictions for brothel keepers and traffickers involving jail sentence for seven years.
- Mock Trials are conducted to train the girls for court procedures and manners.
- Vocational Training is very important segment of rehabilitation. Besides the basic education, it includes training for Computer operating, Tailoring, Yoga, Crafts, Cooking, Clay making, and Beautician etc.
- We continuously train the girls for several profit making courses so that they can sustain themselves and support their families throughout life after they are repatriated.
- As these girls have undergone inhuman treatment in brothels to force them to prostitute and lose all their humans rights, they are so traumatized that they lose faith in mankind. Therefore they need psycho-social counseling by patient counselors in every stage in life.
- Mainly after the legal procedures are over we contact either their families or the respective NGO situated in the vicinity of their homes and repatriate the girls accompanied by our two staff members to either their homes or to source NGO. While repatriating we provide them with the day-to-day necessities of life so that they are not inconvenienced during the journey and immediately on reaching the destination.
- Girls that can not be repatriated due to one reason or other are either absorbed by us or by source NGO or. We find suitable jobs for them in Mumbai.
- We arrange weddings for suitable girls to settle down in life. In India 99% of marriages are arranged marriages.
- Before arranging marriage our President verifies the social & economic status of the bridegroom and his family.Wedding is arranged after we approve the status of family and only after the boy and girl approve one another.
The beneficiaries are girls /women /children who are victims of Human Trafficking and are sold for forced prostitution. They have lost all faith on mankind due to the physical & mental Torture in the Brothels as well as intricate brain wash. They are underprivileged and most of them are illiterate. Girls from Nepal & Bangladesh have been trafficked and hence do not have any travel documents.
The output from 1st January to 30th September 2012 is as under:
- Number of Investigations : 147
- Number of Rescue Raids : 34
- Number of Rescued Girls : 244
- Admitted to our Three Shelter Homes (includes Survivor girls transferred from government homes / or by police) : 397
Total no. of girls provided Vocational Training are as under between January to September 2012
- Formal Education : 257
- Yoga class : 422
- Craft & Painting : 210
- Tailoring class : 144
- Beauty Parlour : 206
- Computer class : 79
- Number of girls who have taken up Jobs outside between Jan to Dec 2012 = 11
- Number of girls who got married in year 2012 = 06 girls
- Number of survivor girls who have received legal assistance from RF = 139
- 12 accused held into imprisonment with fine under ITPA court according to the Indian constitution.
- 05 cases of accused are kept Pending for judgement.
Total Number of Girls Provided with Medical treatment/Checkups.
- General Check up : 526
- T . B Check up : 27
- S.T.I (sexuly transmeted Infection) : 97
- H.I.V : 19
- Abortion & Baby delivery : 01
- Hospital Visit : 260
We shall also appreciate your recommending Rescue Foundation to other donors in U.S.A and abroad to strengthen our fund raising efforts.
We request that you kindly visit us. Your visit will enable you to assess our Progress first hand and visualise the opportunities Rescue Foundation has for achieving an enviable position in the field of anti human trafficking and forced prostitution.