Dear Just Shea family,
We write family because supporter is just not enough to express how we feel about the ongoing support you give us. That support allows us to reach out and support women shea harvesters and their families in the village of Gushie, in Northern Ghana.
Thanks to your support, the Just Shea Program is providing women in the Gushie Shea Nut Collective with protective gear: hooded raincoats, boots and gloves so they can harvest more safely, more efficiently and thus have a better crop. And, to better sell this crop, we built a spacious 16X60 silo right on the main road to town so that buyers will purchase from the Collective, thus getting the women a better price.
So this is the end of the year. And yes we are asking for another infusion of funds to help us continue our work.
WHY? Well, it's simple: We are succeeding and we want to do more, with your help.
Here is what we did in 2012:
- Purchased an acre of land and constructed a storage silo complete with a quality control platform and fabulous roadfront signage that links to a dedicated cell phone to help increase shea nut sales
- Expanded the Just Shea safety program to include 40 women. (There a waiting list of 100 more who want to join!)
- We hired a wonderful local women Fatimah to work with us and we opened a tiny office in Tamale, the nearest town to our pilot village of Gushie.
- We have been endorsed by so many African and American governmental and local groups. Here are a few: USAID, the Global Shea Alliance, West Africa Trade Hub, the Ghanaian Ministries of Environment, Agriculture, and Women's and Children's Affairs.
- We received a generous grant from a private foundation to expand our Just Shea operations.
SO GIVE NOW, give generously if you're able. And help us expand our program to include other deserving mothers in Gushie and their families.
Happy Holidays and peace and prosperity in the new year for us all!
Wicki and Danielle and all the gang across the seas