In just a few weeks, our seniors will proudly don their caps and gowns and cross the podium on graduation day with a high school diploma clutched in their hands. That diploma represents much more than the words printed on it. It's a symbol for our students' refusal to succumb to a world full of tremendous adversity; it's their powerful message that they firmly believe in the value of an education; and for many, it represents only the beginning of something truly great.
For the past six months you've joined them in their journey through your generous contributions to PROJECT: FLIGHT. Here's a glimpse of what we've accomplished together at our flagship school in Philadelphia:
- Acceptances into top-ranked schools such as Penn State University, Millersville University, and Elizabethtown College
- >70% of graduating class on track to attend college (up from 18% just two years ago)
- >90% of seniors successfully completed both federal and state financial aid application (FAFSA + PHEAA)
- 100% of students accepted into 4-year colleges awarded merit-based scholarships
- Nearly 40 seniors overall receiving scholarships directly as a result of PROJECT: FLIGHT
As our seniors enjoy their final days in high school, many have already begun to look forward. One such student, Yalissa, captures it best in the personal statement she submitted for college:
"I am confident now more than ever that I am ready to conquer anything that comes my way. I have dreams and ambitions and I look forward to making them become a reality. I believe in the need for a good foundation in order to construct a strong house that will stand no matter how big the storm...Going to college means taking the next step in building that house. I see college as an opportunity and with education comes success"
Defying all odds, Yalissa, along with her peers, will begin the next chapter of her life this Fall. Thank you for being a part of our students' remarkable success stories.
The 12+ Team