FACOSA (Osa Community Support Fund)-Corcovado Foundation
Three communities in the Osa Peninsula have been supported by the Corcovado Foundation during this year 2012, with funding provided by the Inter American Foundation.
The $12,000 USD distributed among local communities, thru what we called the Osa Support Fund assisted community development project such as the construction of an aqueduct in La Tarde, the completion of the Community Center building in El Progreso and a community project in Rancho Quemado which will provide income to 4 different groups. Also thru this program we financed computers for a school in El Progreso and a website and other working equipment for The Turtle Conservation Association in the same town.
One important matter is that the Inter American Foundation has up to $18,000 USD additional to donate to this fund, but first we need to raise $12,000 USD as a counterpart to their initial donation. We chose Globalgiving to reach out to donors in order to generate funding for these communities. Once the money is in our account 100% of the
donation will be destined to the communities. No administration fee what so ever will be charged.
Between the months of May to August this year, the Foundation was in charge of following up on the implementation of the funding provided. Here are some of the results obtained:
La Tarde, Ecological Community:
1. Construction of the aqueduct in the community, which started operations since August, 2012.
Some of the activities that were made:
- Cleaning up of the spring water and installation of the sedimentation tank.
- Preparation of the platform to hold up the main tank;
- Installation and steadiness of the main tank;
- Input and output connections to the tank;
- Distribution of the pipes for houses;
- Installation in each house.
1. Reconstruction of the Community Hall, whose final product was delivered in August, 2012.
- Donation of computers to the School, they have not been delivered yet because the money was paid into an account of the Ministry of Education and it must be reimbursed, this process is cumbersome and will
take time. In another hand, the security system where the computers will be kept was already built. Also, a group of women will be responsible for supporting the school maintenance, besides making improvements
in the area of hydroponics.
Rancho Quemado Community:
The bakery project is running, offering different products to the people.
- The operation of the mill is almost ready, we proceeded with the purchase of the oxen, they are
being trained for the task. Also the construction of the restrooms is almost
- The project of laying hens is completed; the first production was received in August.
- The piggery project is completed, there was just pending the building of a couple of cement walls.
Important to say that this project has a drinking water system where pigs drink and sending sewage into bags into a biodigestor, where methane is produced and can be used for electrical purposes.
Finally, worth mentioning that has been planned a beach cleaning up with ACOTPRO in Playa Ganado, which is difficult to access and it has an important amount of solid waste. This association has conducted two beach cleanups and reforestation with 250 species, this effort was conducted with the cooperation of 13 of its members.