Art-therapy in the shelter
Rehab shelter for homeless, news of May-August 2013
- Assistance in obtaining job (including workplaces which also include housing): 15 people
- Assistance in obtaining a replacement Russian passport (including those requiring legal assistance) provided to: 22 people
- Assistance in obtaining medical insurance policy: 14 people
- Assistance in search and acquiring accommodation (or registering for a waiting list as those in need of accommodation) provided to: 8 people
- Assistance in obtaining treatment and disposal to hospitals: 10 people
- Assistance in buying medicaments: 8 people
- Legal accompaniment in courts: 5 people
- Assistance in getting back home in a different town: 3 people
- Assistance in identification of citizenship or in obtaining a foreign nationality passport: 2 people
- Assistance in obtaining a replacement Taxpayer’s Identification Number (or obtaining a new one after registration): 2 people
- Arrangement of temporary registration in “Nochlezhka”: 7 people
- Assistance in searching relatives: 4 people
- Placements into rehabilitation centers: 2 people
- Assistance in applying for a pension: 6 people
- Assistance in applying for a disability allowance and placements into waiting line to rehabilitation centers: 3 people
- Placement into rehabilitation centers for elderly and disabled people: 3 people
- Assistance in obtaining other papers (military registration certificate, criminal record certificate, birth certificate etc.): 7 people
From May till August our shelter hosted 105 people
During July and August volunteers and employees of the project fed 1220 persons, 7566 portion of hot dinner were distributed.
During August Nochlezhka realized the social graffiti campaign "This side of life", which was developed by the advertising agency Great – long term partner of our organization. Nochlezhka’s volunteers have put over fifty pictures on temporary fences.
On many temporary fences around the city one can see images from daily lives of the homeless with the following text: ‘Beware! With our indifference, this side of life is the most dangerous one. Each year over 4,000 homeless people die on the streets of St. Petersburg. Find out how to help on homeless.ru’.
One of the results of the campaign is the initiative from Moscow authorities to put social graffiti in the streets of Moscow that would point at the nearest shelters and canteens for the homeless.
‘The number of articles and reports on our campaign is an achievement in itself. It is too early to speak of victory over people’s indifference towards the homeless but we have definitely managed to break the information blockade. We are expecting initiatives from the municipal authorities designed to help the homeless during the cold months. It is time we thought about it,’ says director of Nochlezhka, Grigory Sverdlin.
Last year there were only four heating stations in the city, and two of them were badly located and homeless people could not get there. The total capacity of all the tents did not exceed 120 people. Whereas according to the official census alone, the homeless population of St Petersburg amounts to over 28, 000 people. The real number, according to experts, is about 60, 000 people.
Social graffiti "This side of life"