Children studying at Neelbagh
ASHRAYA NEELBAGH SCHOOL
The school provides a distinctive educational environment that enables young persons to grow not only in intellectual capacities, but also in other dimensions of their being. It also provides a flexible curriculum, which creates an atmosphere conducive to innovative teaching and a rich range of learning. It’s the only rural bilingual school. In the Annual status of Education report 2011, Karnataka has been rated as the State with the lowest number of schools with good infrastructure and basic facilities, in rural areas. In such a state, Ashraya- Neelbagh School has played a major role to change the perception of people about the rural education system in Karnataka.
Today, Ashraya Neelbagh caters to 351 (177 Girls and 174 Boys) deserving students from below poverty line families as against 174 (74 Girls and 100 Boys) students in 2003, showing a 140% increase in the number of girl children, over the past few years, that the school is reaching out to achieve the Millennium Development Goal of achieving universal primary education and promote gender equality.
- This is the only school of its kind in the country addressing the long-term educational needs of children of migrant workers.
- Improved access to education for 46 number of girl children from migrant families while their parents are away for work to other states. This also ensures that children are not exposed to situations of trafficking, sexual abuse or forced into a marriage or child labour.
- Improved Retention: Ensured that no child drops out of school and they have the support to ensure that they get high quality of education along with opportunities to develop their overall personality and achieve significant learning improvements within a short span of time.
- Developing entrepreneurial skills: all children enrolled in school are also introduced to different forms of vocational skills. This has a dual effect; Children become more confident and their parents in turn become more supportive as they notice skills in their children.
- Partnership and ownership: making parents aware and responsible towards their children’s education has a long- term impact. Monthly meetings, periodic individual interactions with parents and exit interviews for Class 10 children along-with their parents before their final Board exams to determine child’s future plan are some of the key elements to increase participation and ownership of the parent community.
- Cultivating Marketting skills: Helping students to develop thinking skills early is essential to their academic success and lifelong ability to solve problems. A charity exhibition was organized at Ms. Jyothi Subaroa’s residence. Products made by students were displayed and a team of senior students helped in organizing the exhibition. This initiative helps students to be able to analyze information, make decisions, come up with creative ideas and solve problems - in essence, to think rationally and logically. Thinking skills are becoming essential for survival in our rapidly changing global information age.
- Community Develpoment: The school is also into community service through creating awareness about variuos diseases , need for cleanliness, conservation of water etc.The school was actively involved in promoting the Pulse Polio, Child education and preserve environment programmes. The school is dedicated to anti-child-marriage campaign; the practice of child marriage is illegal—yet still thrives. Here, families will arrange forced marriages for their young daughters as a way to make money and alleviate the burden of caring for them. One such incident occurred in our school.Lakshmidevi, aged 12years, studying in 7th Standard was absent from 31st December 2012 to 8th January 2013. When probed, we did realise that the young girl was about to be forced into marriage with a older person. The incident was reported immediately and the child was rescued and also ensured that the child was not physically , emotionally or mentally abused. Meanwhile, the neighbours confronted the school staff with screaming threats for interfering. The team braved all odds to ensure that Lakshmidevi was back in school with her friends, attending classes and building a bright future for herself.
In August our students participated in the Inter School Science fair held in Gownapalli, they competed with 20 schools and won the First place for Reuse model.
In September the GE Science Fair for educational institutions was held in Bangalore. The students fared very well and received second prize for Water sprinkler model.
Students participated in the annual inter school essay competition held on 14th of December 2012. Around 62 schools competed but Neelbagh transcended others. The topic given was “The importance of Ozone”. Three of our high school students participated and are the winners of this year’s Kolar district level essay writing contest.The first, second and third place was bagged by Ashraya Neelbagh School. Jayasreeof 10th grade won the first place, followed by her classmate Manikanta, second and their junior Beemanandha of 9th grade won the third place.
Workshops and Enhanced learning opportunities provided by the School :
The school continues to drive the ‘Importance of education’ and strives towards providing a holistic environment for the children by offering opportunities for all rounded development to all the children without any discrimination in the rural areas, thereby contributing to a future with educated and informed youngsters.
ü Clown therapy
ü Yoga workshop
ü Teachers’ training
ü Dance and Theatre workshops :
ü Self Organized Mediation Environments (SOMEs):
ü Sex education workshop
ü Art Workshop :
ü Career Counseling workshops
Cultural / Sports activities
The school observed a wide range of events for students to explore their creative and artistic interests, hone their talents, and develop self-management and interpersonal skills.
The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence. Students of Ashraya Neelbagh School rightlyprove this quote by their magnificent performance and Victory over Teams from other schools in Taluk / District level and in Inter NGO sports. They emerged as champions both in individual and team sports
Taluk / District Level Inter School Sports Meet:
The performance of our students was remarkable and qualified to compete in the District level sports meet. Students participated in various events namely: Long jump, High jump, Shuttlecock, 100mts, 200mts, 400mts race, Javelin, Basketball and won in most of the events.
Inter NGO Sports Meet:
v 40 students in the age group of 8 -14 years participated.
v Out of 22 events conducted, they won in 20 events bagging 1st, 2nd and 3rd prizes.
v Ashraya Neelbagh school was awarded the Best Team and Overall Championship award.
We Need You
The community is proud to have Neelbagh School in its midst. We've also had important visitors through the year who have been impressed greatly with the school and see it as a 'Rural Model School'.
What we have achieved is very little ….You too can support this wonderful cause and uplift a child in need today. So donate now and help us reach more less fortunate children this Academic Year.
To run this project, the cost of providing education and holistic development and thereby transforming a child’s life, works out to INR.15000 per annum. May we appeal to you to support as many needy children as you desire.