Heartbeat strives to support children through various activities to ensure that children can excel academically. Heartbeat offers specific services to school going children including home work assistance during school holidays and Saturdays, and equipping them with school uniforms and stationary. The home work assistance takes place at Heartbeat’s After School Centres (ASC) where the children also receive a meal. Between February and April 2013 Heartbeat assisted the young girls in its programmes as follows:
- 282 received assistance with their homework;
- 78 girls who did not have school uniforms were assisted with uniforms;
The girls were also assisted with psychosocial services at Heartbeat’s After School Centres (ASC) and during home visits from the child care workers. During the period:
- 422 girls visited the ASCs on a regular basis;
- 848 were visited at home by the child care workers;
- 8 received memory work helping them to copy with the loss of a parent/relative and
- 35 received indivudual counselling by a qualified social worker.
Heartbeat has partnered with Bobbi Brown from Estee Lauder through the Pretty Powerful campaign. Bobbi Brown has announced the evolution of the brand’s Pretty Powerful campaign into a new global charitable initiative that will continue to celebrate the empowerment of women. With the launching of their new Pot Rouge, two of Heartbeat’s female Youth Ambassadors had the chance to speak to the delegates. It was quite apparent that they are developing into pretty powerful young girls themselves. Heartbeat is planning, with the support and assistance of Estee Lauder, to host empowerment workshops with Heartbeat girls at some of its Projects country wide. A special thanks to Bobby Brown and Estee Lauder for their support and contribution.
One of Heartbeat's previous beneficiaries, Vivian Thakhuli, has partnered with Heartbeat to give back to the Community. She is a facilitator for young women with Got It Goin'On Worldwide Global Division South Africa. In her own words: "With the help of community based organizations like Heartbeat, I have been able to get support that led me in realizing my greatest passion in life, one being to empower others and give back to those that come from disadvantaged backgrounds like I did".
Vivian will be assisting at our Projects with an Empowerment/Life Skills Programme for our girls. This Programme focusses on:
- Installing life-long strategies to cope with every area of a young girl's life,
- Encouriaging a philosophy of "sisterhood" and less about selfishness,
- Building girls' confidence, belief in themselves and culrural pride,
- Increasing physical activity and attention to health,
- Has a positive effect on overall school/community climate.
A big thank you to all our donars that made all of this possible!Attachments: