Four “model” wood-saving stoves were constructed in three communities in the Zona Sur of Chiapas. DESMI organized workshops and site visits to train community members on how to construct and use a wood-saving stove. In addition, DESMI has surveyed the communities where the stoves were constructed to keep track of how many people are participating in these workshops.
Here are the results of that survey:
• 24 families have participate in wood-saving stove-related workshops
• Of these 24 families, 8 families constructed their wood-saving stoves.
• 9 families have their wood-saving stoves but have not participated in any of DESMI workshops to learn how to properly use these stoves.
• 17 families from 7 communities constructed wood-saving stoves without DESMI’s assistance but want to participate in DESMI’s workshops.
In general, the benefits expressed by those with a wood-saving stove listed the following:
1) Saving wood
2) Better conditions of kitchen tools
3) Women are no longer exposed to smoke pollution
4) Women have no more direct contact with the stove’s heat.
5) Food is cooked faster due to the stove’s structure that helps concentrate heat.
Project Reports on GlobalGiving are posted directly to globalgiving.org by Project Leaders as they are completed, generally every 3-4 months. To protect the integrity of these documents, GlobalGiving does not alter them; therefore you may find some language or formatting issues.
If you donate to this project or have donated to this project, you will get an e-mail when this project posts a report. You can also subscribe for reports via e-mail without donating or by subscribing to this project's RSS feed.
Get Reports via Email
We'll only email you new reports and updates about this project.
Project Leader: Gillian Wilson
IDEX Latin America Program Director
Thanks to 11 donors like you, a total of $1,455 was raised for this project on GlobalGiving.
Combined with other sources of funding, this project raised enough money to fund the outlined activities and is no longer accepting donations.