Severe Cyclone by name Hudhud that struck Coastal Andhra Pradesh, South India on 12th October 2014 Over 100,000 houses in Visakhapatnam city ( Vizag), Vijayanagaram,Srikakulam have been severely damaged. Thousands of acres of paddy fields, banana farms and coconut farms are under water and fisher folk communities have lost their nets and boats to the cyclone. Over 250,000 people in 320 villages are affected and More than 2500 Schools are fully damaged and till today sanitation issue is not cleared.
Children are agents of change. By focusing on school children, giving them tools and knowledge to change behavior today, future generations will be better prepared to care for their families and communities.
The present project is specially designed to support 20000 school children including Boys and Girls, especially More girl Childrens studying in Government Schools of Hudhud Cyclone Effected areas of Vijayanagara, Visakhapatnam,and Srikakulam Districts of Andhra Pradesh, India through the establishment of Two sanitary blocks.( ( One Toilet + 4 Urinals For Girls and One Toilet + 4 urinals for Boys)
This project will reduce the incidence of sanitation related diseases by providing effective and sufficient sanitation for all the school children. The project will also improve personal hygiene behaviour of students and teachers and improve the environmental sanitation of the school.
One of the major problems faced by the school age children is infection by parasites and flukes. This type of sanitation related infections obviously contribute not only to absenteeism in the schools, but also to the more hidden aspect: Poor health of children affects their ability to learn and therefore influences their perspective in life. Good health at school is essential for now and an investment for the
School sanitation facilities are usually poor (if they exist at all), and are not designed sustainably. Schools with latrines have problems because the latrines are poorly managed and are not particularly valued and are abandoned once pits are full. Cleaning toilets is usually enforced as a form of punishment, which further erodes a child’s sense of the importance of good sanitation.
Overall the PROBLEMS can be summarized as follows:
1) non-existent or insufficient water supply, sanitation and hand-washing facilities;
2) toilets or latrines that are not adapted to the needs of children, in particular girls;
3) broken, dirty and unsafe water supply, sanitation and hand-washing facilities;
4) children with poor hygiene and hand-washing practices. .
Working with Children on basic hygiene and sanitation is very important:
1) Most children are eager to learn. Schools can stimulate and support positive behavioral change in
2) Children have important roles in household chores related to hygiene.
3) Children may question existing practices in the household and become agents of change within
their families and communities.
4) Children are future parents. What they learn at school is likely to be passed on to their children.
Objective of the project is to create awareness among the community through school children .
1) Preventing open defecation and using toilets.
2) Washing hands after defecation, before cooking and eating meals.
3)Keeping the school clean.
EXPECTED NO.OF BENEFCIARIES:
It is aimed to reach more than 20000 School Childrens from 55 Government Schools in Hudhud Cyclone effected Districts of Andhra Pradesh.
OUTCOMES OF THE PROJECT:
The Specified High Schools will have three sanitary blocks ( One Toilet + 4 Urinals
For Girls and One Toilet+ 4 urinals for Boys) in utilisation with proper care and maintenance.
1) All the 15000 childrens and other children likely to be admitted to the High Schools will be utilising
2) School children are practising good hygiene and sanitary practices and became agents to spread the
change in their respective families and communities.
3) Environmental sanitary condition in the Government High Schools are improved.
Hudhud Cyclone Effected areas of Visakhapatnam, Vijayanagaram and Srikakulam Districts of A.P.
MONITORING & REPORTING MECHANISAM:
The programme will be tightly monitored by the central project team of RRHEDS in the Central Office at Chilakaluripet and Administrative Office at Visakhapatnam through the Area Coordinators based in Concerned Village Based Schools with the supportive field staff. We are having 20 Years of Experiance member in our Boad worked in Water Aid, SDC,Wash, etc.
Periodic reports will be presented to the Donors as per their Norms.
If there is possibility of obtaining technical staff as volunteers, they Engagement: could be deputed by the Donor as they will be extremely useful in extending the necessary support to the target childrens.
Project Reports on GlobalGiving are posted directly to globalgiving.org by Project Leaders as they are completed, generally every 3-4 months. To protect the integrity of these documents, GlobalGiving does not alter them; therefore you may find some language or formatting issues.
If you donate to this project or have donated to this project, you will get an e-mail when this project posts a report. You can also subscribe for reports via e-mail without donating or by subscribing to this project's RSS feed.