Hampton Virginia GITC
This is a quick note of thanks to let you know how your donations to this project are making the holidays a happier time for children around the United States and Canada this year. Because you gave us the energy and funds to keep going, GITC has been able to:
- Train and support 225 pK- 8 teachers to learn to lead music in their classrooms this fall!
- Donate or loan instruments to programs in 86 schools from California to Boston, from Michigan to Ontario.
- Bring songs and songwriting for learning to the hearts and minds of 19,000 students each day
- Continue to restore Bluegrass musical traditions in the schools in Clay County, West Virgina
- Make hands-on guitar and ukulele training possible for children and adults with extreme disabilities through teriinc.org
- Give high school students wishing to perform community service through music a way to assist younger children by participating in our work.
What is in store for 2014 through this project?
For starters, in Head Start programs in Massachusetts, our trainer Jon Short will begin teaching music leadership to early childhood educators in January. In elementary schools in Burlington, Vermont, trainer Rik Palieri will continue the training he started last year, expanding his efforts to nearby communities as well. In Oakland and Berkeley, California , two new GITC trainers will reach out to K-8 educators new to this approach through the public schools. And this is just the beginning- so many more programs are on the horizon in February. We also have an exciting plan moving forward that involves more community concerts that bring the children and teachers together with community members to make music in public spaces, giving music a presence in the daily life of people outside the school walls. We just led the first public GITC community jam in San Diego 2 weeks ago and facilitated two holiday sing alongs at the public library in Encinitas, CA. Folks really came out to be a part of these events with the children.
Guitars in the Classroom wants to wish you very happy holidays and the most joyous of New Years.
On behalf of the teachers and students in Hampton, Virginia, in Oxnard and Vista, California and all across the nation wherever there is a GITC program thanks to you, we hope your kindness comes back to you multiplied many times over. The love you give is making life better for thousands of children whose chances for success in school are improving because you choose care. Thank you for your blessings.
Please stay with us, be a part of this musical connection and help more children and people of every age find their voices, passion and inspiration together through sharing the power of song!
Let there be peace,
Oxnard, CA GITC
Vista, California GITC~
Bus Driving GITC in Clay WV!