Fundación Leer Initial Report-July 2010: Program “Open Book Project” in the school Nº 4233-Las Llanas, Salta
In this report we present a synthesis of the first developed actions of the program “Open Book Project”
implemented in an educational institution located in a rural part of Las Llanas, province of Salta, Argentina.
We include in it a brief description of the program and a general explanation of the institution and its beneficiaries.
Finally, we present the activities completed to date.
The Open Book Project is a Fundación Leer program that seeks to make reading a more relevant part of daily
life for families and to support institutions that lack books with the possibility of counting on them in a
context that favors the relationship between children and books.
Establishing Reading Corners and developing activities that promote reading for pleasure are two of the
pillars upon which this program rests.
Through the implementation of this program, Fundación Leer seeks to achieve the following objectives:
· To create spaces in which children and youth can access books and learn to feel comfortable being in
contact with them.
· Stir up the desire to read amongst children and youth.
· Train teachers so that they can encourage children and youth to read for pleasure and involve
families in the process of youth literacy
· Provide a space in which parents can share books with their children.
· Make the community aware of the importance of developing reading habits for the future of its
children and their families