Thank you for choosing to support the Irish Cancer Society. At the Irish Cancer Society our vision and our ambition is nothing less than a future without cancer. The Irish Cancer Society was established in 1963 and this year we celebrate our 50th birthday. During this time we have grown our work and our leadership. In the past 50 years Ireland has seen huge strides and made significant breakthroughs in the battle against cancer.
The Irish Cancer Society will concentrate on four strategic goals over the lifetime of our new strategy from 2013-2017;
- Reduce the Risk of Cancer
- Improve Lives
- Lead Excellent Collaborative Research
- Inform and Influence Public Policy
Our Vision: A Future Without Cancer. Our Mission: To Eliminate Cancer.
The Irish Cancer Society helps people affected by cancer to ensure no one has to face cancer alone. All our services are FREE to patients and their families.There are more than 90,000 people living with cancer in Ireland and 1 in 3 people will be affected by cancer in their lifetime so funding to provide our vital services is more needed than ever and will allow us to achieve our mission; to eliminate cancer.
We have had many notable achievements in 2012;
- We now have 7 Daffodil Centres around Ireland which have received over 11,000 visitors in 2012.
- In 2012, we received over 22,000 calls to the National Cancer Helpline ( Freefone 1800 200 700).
- We have 220 nurses working for the Irish Cancer Society with 23 nurses working in home all around the country on any given night.
- In 2012 1,756 financial aid grants have been provided to cancer patients who are struggling financially.
95% of the Irish Cancer Society's income comes from public donations and fundraising. The funds we receive through Global Giving are essential to ensuring that we can continue to provide our services free of charge to those who need most, and ensure that no one has to face cancer alone. From all the staff at the Irish Cancer Society and everyone who uses our services – THANK YOU for your support!
Wishing you and your family a very happy and healthy 2013.