Report to Global Giving
Intervention Period – November 2012 – November 2014
Project – Whole School Turnaround
School: Goodwill English School, Heganahalli, Peenya II Stage
Reporting Period: December 2013 – February 2014
No. of teachers/heads covered under the Programme - 1 head, 1 Coordinator and 18 teachers
Work done in 3 months (Dec 2013 to Feb 2014)
Midline Audit –
Midline audit was conducted in November after the completion of one year of “Whole School Turnaround” project in the school to assess the impact of intervention.
The audit report shows improvement in all domains i.e. Leadership Management, Teaching Learning Assessment, Student Environment and Community Involvement. Assessments in Maths and English were also conducted for the students of Std III, V and VII. Audit report shows a positive impact of training on their increase of scores of assessment too.
Head Support -
The school heads have been supported in formulating and finalizing action plans for 4 months i.e. Jan 2014 to April 2014. These action points have been shared with the school teachers too. Since school heads' role is not limited to administration, they are encouraged to monitor teaching, learning and assessment processes. The action points on which the school will work collaboratively are –
The school heads will observe at least 2 classes per week.
Lesson planning and co planning will be institutionalized in the school.
Notebooks will be checked regularly to encourage error free correction by teachers.
Teaching strategies learnt from the training workshops will be implemented in classroom teaching.
Teachers will encourage students to participate in activities in the classes through group work, pair work and peer learning.
Home assignments will include a few activities or work which will help students to explore on their own and it should be not be mere repetition of classwork.
The students will be encouraged to express their views, opinions in the school assembly as well as in the classes.
Teachers Training –
12 modules on Prerana on classroom teaching strategies are completed successfully and teachers are implementing their learning in the classrooms effectively. They have been trained on writing lesson plans and their enthusiasm to plan their lesson brings happiness to WST team.
Teacher Support –
The teachers were supported by doing 2nd round of demo classes by TTF facilitators. Demo classes were given in the Maths, English and Social Studies. The teachers found these classes very useful as they could see the effective use of various teaching strategies and the increase in students participation and engagement.
Teachers’ classes were also observed for the second time. They were supported with feedback at planning level too which helped them to execute the classes quite effectively. The teachers were provided one on one constructive feedback after the classes. They were quite open to the feedback and assured that they would work consistently towards helping students to learn better through their effective teaching. A few teachers still need to work towards improving their classroom teaching skills for better learning. Questioning skills of the teachers also needs improvement as most of the questions asked are still of low order and does not help students to have higher order thinking. Standard of written and spoken English language both among students and teachers is a concern.
Positive Outcomes after a year of intervention -
1. The school heads are proactive, positive and are open for suggestions and communication with all stakeholders.
2. Teachers' opinion and suggestions are incorporated in school policies.
3. The teachers have started articulating the objectives of the lessons to be taught however co planning is not evident in the school.
4. There has been a significant improvement in teaching learning methodology however this is restricted to the prescribed text book.
5. Teachers are also trying to pose higher order questions and demonstrate the concepts through visuals, role plays, group work and other
6. Students are active participants and are seen to interact with their peers to discuss learning.
7. Most of the teachers have improved remarkably in using blackboard effectively by using it in an organized way with a clear flow of
8. Teacher student interactions have improved significantly. Teachers are positive in their communication with students and they agree that
they are not scared of teachers anymore.
9. Corporal punishment has reduced substantially across the school as a measure to reinforce discipline.
10. The school has provided clean drinking water to the students through water purifier.
Going Forward –
1. Last module of HeadLamp will be conducted for school heads in April 2014. This module will help them to define roles and
responsibilities for teachers and institutionalize the process of performance appraisal in the school.
2. The teachers will be supported to plan their lessons for next academic year.
3. Lesson planning and co planning will be scheduled in the time table of the school.
4. Mentors will be training on the coaching and mentoring process.
A few photos -