Adolescent girl stitching with the sewing machine
At Vetapalem Regional Training Centre, Entrepreneurship and Skill Development training is being imparted in Fashion Designing skill. Altogether twenty Five Adolescent girls and youth are undergoing this training. The status of the trainees was, some of them discontinued their academic studies in 10th standard. Some of them have studied up to 7th standard. After finishing or discontinuing their academic studies, they are not able to get any sort of employment opportunities because of lack of computer skills or a specific skill in any segment. Eventually, getting livelihood opportunities are being hampered. That is the significant reason of conducting Vocational training in various skills at ASSIST Regional Vocational Training centres which spread across the geographical area of ASSIST. Currently, Fashion Designing skill are being conducted at Vetapalem Regional Training Centre. The core subjects being taught in Fashion Designing skill are as follows:
Classes are taken on long skirt, Petticoat and its measurements, two models of frocks and gowns, blouses, skirts and different models of kurthas. These are explained on the board and later made them to draw in the note books. Girls who are able to write have taken the notes.
- Models were done on the news paper and later on the sample cloth. As such the girls were confident to cut the design on the cloth as they have already cut the design on the news paper.
- They were also made to stitch Dots and frills on the long skirt.
- Bell hands, puff hands and neck models were taught on the frocks
- Different models around the neck of the blouse were taught.
- Drawer paper cutting, cloth cutting and stitching on the sewing machine.
Chain stitching and stem stitching are important while learning embroidery, so preparing note on it and drawings are taught in the class. Stitching of gagra and top gagra is taught. Note is given on Machine embroidery work. The toughest work is machine embroidery and it is taking longer time than other works. While using embroidery machine one has to use not only hands and legs but right knee too in order to make broader lines and thin lines.
- Children were taught all models of hand embroidery and everyone is almost perfect in this work.
- Gagra cutting, hand embroidery Paper cutting, cloth cutting and machine embroidery are taught.
- Flower painting is done while doing embroidery work. Hand embroidery work and flower painting will go simultaneously. Girls are learning it very fast.
Note is given on various rings, needles and different methods in using them. It is also taught to them how to use different kinds of threads and necessary steps to be taken while using them.
- Print is done first and lines are stitched with maggam needles.
- Chain stitch is done with jerry thread
- Lines are drawn and on that flowers are stitched with kundans using maggam needles.
Taught on how to draw lines, outlines and other lines with a “000” brush. Notes are given on flower painting, design, filling and drafting.
- Lines and out lines are drawn with a “000” brush.
- After flower designing, outer line is drawn and filled the flower with glittering.
- Painting is done directly on cloth.
Adolescent girl learning cutting the cloth
Girls learning painting the Sarees
Girls learning hand embroidery
Girls practicing Maggam work