Luuka Youth Development Association and Advisory Center ( LUYUDAAC ) P.O.BOX 437 Jinja – Uganda .
Working in Partnership with GlobalGiving Foundation Washington DC, Volunteers from the Netherlands, North Carolina, South Africa and Uganda
- In the Orphans and Vulnerable Children department the changes have been achieved by our work include the improving the well being of Child rights by providing basic services to Orphans and Vulnerable children ( OVCs ), in Benamos Nursery and primary school, the community , those living with HIV aids and those affected by the virus include counseling, psychosocial support, child protection and child rights awareness creation among the community members, guardians , teachers, to ensure that OVCs access Education at the above said school.
They come from very poor homes whose poverty level range between 27% to 62% which is the highest in Uganda
Also noted is that 100 poor people live here in an area of 1 square kilometer & these leads to under development..
Illiteracy of these in both the OVCs and their guardian is at 69.4% .
It is against this background that the community have been sensitized that access to Education is every child’s right, marginalized OVCs identified as not accessing Education have been identified, taken to school and therefore accessing basic Education.
- Basic scholastic materials and lunch have been provided such that these children can stay in school as a result of the intervention of LUYUDAAC and other said partners .
- The other significant change is that many children in schools can get lunch due to change of attitude of the guardians, parents and the other community members as a result child rights awareness campaigns in management meetings, community sensitization and mobilizations that are held in schools, community , guardian discussions the fact that a child is entitled to lunch to have good education.
- Inadequate child rights awareness campaigns due to limited financial resources.
- Child abuse still rampant in the district especially defilement.
- Limited partners / collaboration efforts to reduce child Abuse.
- Lack of proper means of transport like motor cycle to easy mobility during awareness campaigns.
Volunteer From North Carolina Visit the OVCs
During Awareness campaigns