Nyaka Student Fetching Clean Water
Dear Nyaka Family,
Thanks to your ongoing support, we have so much to celebrate! Over the last 10 years, The Nyaka AIDS Orphans Project has seen incredible growth and change. This growth and change can also be seen in all of our students, their Grandmothers and our surrounding communities. Please join me as Nyaka kicks-off a year's worth of our 10 Year Anniversary Celebration by sharing with you what I consider to be some of the 10 most important things we, as a family, have accomplished in our 10 short years.
As we celebrate the joyous past of growth and giving, we are also soaring into the future - with many plans to make our programs even better over the next decade. We are counting on you stay with us and invite others to join us on this journey.
10 Reasons to celebrate being a part of Nyaka:
1. We welcomed the first class of 56 students through the doors of The Nyaka AIDS Orphans School in January of 2003. Today we have 547 students in two primary schools and several graduates in two secondary schools.
2. We launched the Nutrition Program, a new program that set Nyaka on a track of becoming a holistic program, the only one of its kind in Western Uganda.
3. We established Desire Farm, a full-fledged farm that provides two meals a day for all our children and jobs for the community.
4. We successfully graduated 76 students. That's every single student for the last 3 years.
5. We built Kutamba, our second primary school using the same Nyaka model, to expand our reach in a different village.
6. We launched a clean water system for the entire community that provides clean water for more than 25,000 people.
7. We started the Grandmothers Program in support of their economic empowerment. It began with one group and has flourished to 91 groups with over 7,000 Grandmothers.
8. We opened The Blue Lupin Library, the first community library in Western Uganda.
9. We published The Price of Stones, the story of Nyaka, which is now being told around the globe.
10. We broke ground for a new medical clinic which will serve the health and wellness needs of the entire community.
These things would not have been possible without your support. Please stay tuned for more 10 Year Anniversary news and events throughout 2011, including features on our students and Grandmothers. The best is yet to come!
With my deepest gratitude,
Twesigye Jackson Kaguri,
Founder and Executive Director
P.S. – Please go to our brand new website
www.nyakaschool.org to learn more about the programs
we offer our children and their Grandmothers – thanks to you!