Johanny and LIdia
We’re settling in to our new location in the Chukmuk school, and the children are so excited! Every day they ask our librarian, Lidia, “When are the library activities going to start?” We assure them that activities will be starting very soon, but in the meantime, we’ve been moving, cleaning, and organizing.
Throughout February we were…
- Moving the library furniture to the new location
- Packing, unpacking, and organizing six hundred new books donated and purchased with donations over the past year
Library Coordinator Johanny and Librarian Lidia hold the first three books cataloged for the library.
- Cataloging the library’s stock with the simplified Dewey
decimal system and a junior color code
- Expanding our “library start-up” guide so that other teachers or schools who are interested in starting a library can model our work
- Registering and updating our existing inventory of 290 books
- Painting bookshelves in cheery colors to make the library more inviting to children and also to protect the books from humidity during the rainy season
- Holding our first training for teachers and library support group members
- Starting our ongoing training for teachers and the library support group.
We're off to a great start, but we could still use about five times more books!
We’re pleased to have come so far, but also know how much more we have to do. For example, we need to grow our library stock. International guidelines recommend a minimum of 3,000 items in library stock, including books in Spanish, educational materials, etc.) to satisfy the needs of 250 students. And we still need to furnish three separate areas of the library: the investigation area, the story area, and the creativity area. In the meantime, we’re thrilled to be in our new space, and looking forward to watching our library—and the literacy and imaginations of the children—grow and grow.
student helping out