We have come to the half year and the teenage mothers from Mukuru slums and Dagoretti are all smiles as they make their dreams become a reality.
The teenage mothers of Dagoretti area graduated in May, on entrepreneurship
& micro finance training .The course ran for four months. Congratulations
to all the teenage mothers who worked hard to achieve this skill of independence.
All the young mothers who trained in this skill had small businesses existing. Now
the teenage mothers will grow their small businesses better through applying
the skills learned. The best 10 businesses proposals were awarded with $100 each
as Seed capital to expand their businesses. Thanks to Project Baobab
organization for partnering with us on this project.
Hairdressing & beauty training is one popular course among the teenage
mothers. The teenage mothers graduated in April after six months course
training with life skills that will help them in future and give them a livelihood
for them and their children. Winfred, who scored the best marks was awarded
with a hairdryer is a proud graduate who aspires to expand her business and use
the skills she has learned. She said, ‘there are many things that I know now
that will help me expand my salon business and I can now get more customers’.
Vocational training class has now diversified their training
to crafts and recently held two exhibitions .One was organized by Elevate
International and the other Ministry of the youth. Hope for Teenage Mothers (HTM) had various
curio items, beaded belts, sculptures, baskets and beaded works to display. The
teenage mothers managed the stand for the 3 days exhibition in June/July and
they explained to the visitors to their stand about the projects HTM and how
they are transforming their lives.
Other Project Updates
1. Evelyn Ntheya has joined us in the project to assist in the HIV/AIDS counseling of
the infected and the affected teenage mothers .Welcome Evelyn!
2. The Christian brothers have donated a day care room for the children of the teenage
mothers who are studying Vocational training .We need to equip the room with
proper facilities for the babies as young as 6months to 2 years .We welcome
your donations in kind and money.
3. Teenage mothers are having 2day training on how to make recyclable sanitary towels on 3
and 4th August by Project Mwezi being the trainer. This training
will go along way for our girls and the community within Mukuru and the country as a whole .Thanks to
Susannah the Project Director of Project Mwezi.
4. Our girls (35) are getting ready for the vocational class government examinations due in
August and December, 2011.
5. Hope for Teenage Mothers are preparing for a 5 day crafts exhibition in November 23rd
to 27th, 2011 at Sarit centre in Nairobi. We shall be exhibiting the crafts the girls are making.We shall soon be posting these on our website and are all Welcome to order on line.Welcome to the exhibition and see our young mothers’ talents.
6. There is an urgent need for food within the country. The teenage mothers and their children
have not been spared the hunger .This has resulted due to high inflation rate,
lack of maize and drought in the country. If you wish to donate food for our
girls we have a drop off point at our office in the city. Just call us or email us
for more details. (Dry grains are recommended).
7. The last 2 months we had 4 University students volunteers from Australia and Tanzania. University Students doing research are welcome to volunteer with us .Just inform us your needs 2 months before hand and we shall organize this for you.
Thank you for your support as always.