Vishnu making a presentation
The New Year at Dream A Dream started in April and in June as the school year began, 2400 children in the age group of 6-15 enrolled into our Life Skills Programs for the year. This was the most number of children we have enrolled in our programs in a single month.
Over 80 batches are run across 15 locations in Bangalore, India 1-2 times a week engaging 25-30 children per batch in core Life Skills programs. This has largely being possible due to the commitments and support from donors like YOU, who have helped us build this organization – one child at a time.
A child like Vishnu.
From unlocking the computer room at 3 PM to packing up the laptops and locking it up, Vishnu would do everything. One look at him and you’ll realize that he is pretty much the star of the school, a kind of icon that his classmates look up to. Vishnu recently completed 2 years at the Dream Life Skills program teaching computers and as he graduated from this 10th grade, his confidence was clearly visible.
Coming from a free school run by a partner charity because his parents could not afford to send him to school, Vishnu has been a story of determination and transformation.
Vishnu can be characterized by his ability to take initiative and volunteer for tasks in the sessions and at the same time committed to complete all his session plans as part of his learning. Along with completing the given activity on time, he would assist in buying snacks and packing up after the session. Being one of few who have the privilege of owning a computer, Vishnu puts it to good use. Not only does he learn and practice at home but also ensures that his peers are doing well.
Vishnu wears a naughty grin on his face, perpetually and at the same time is one of the most brilliant students in his class.
The Dream LearnIT program helped not only hone is computer skills but also helped him inculcate in himself some life skills which he began exhibiting in his behavior.
Looking ahead, one cannot deny that Vishnu’s future is bright.
We at Dream A Dream feel tremendously proud of Vishnu’s achievements and are happy that we are able to provide these experiences to over 3000 children a year now.
Some of the key highlights of the last 3 months have been:
- Annual Planning and Budgets completed for the year 2011-12
- Winner at the Most Outstanding Annual report Awards for the year 2009-10 hosted by CSO Partners and FMSF.
- Shortlisted to present Dream A Dream’s scale plans at Ashoka Globalizer event hosted by Ashoka – Innovators for the public (www.ashoka.org). The event brought together 16 Ashoka Fellows from across the world to present their plans and models to an esteemed network of successful business entrepreneurs and seek their inputs on strengthening their plans.
- 2400 children enrolled in our various Life Skills Programs since June. Plan to enroll another 600-800 children in the second quarter.
- Completed a Life Skills for Career Development program during the summer for 130 young people enrolled in our DreamConnect Program. The program will continue for another 600 young adults through the year.
- Completed “Lead Facilitator” training for 8 Trainers in partnership with PYE Global in early July. This is an ongoing partnership to develop a team of Lead Facilitators for our scale plans.
- Completed a Teacher Training Program on Life Skills Development for a school in Munirabad, Belgaum as part of our prototype scale plans
- Completed 3 Teacher Training workshops on Life Skills Development and Creative Facilitation for staff from Agastya Foundation as part of our prototype scale plans
- With support from Grassroot Soccer (GRS), South Africa we have completed the “Life Skills Thru Football (LSTF)” Curriculum. This curriculum has been developed for children from Grad 4 to Grad 10 encompassing 40 sessions a year (structured and unstructured)
- With support from GRS we have completed the “Training of Life Skills Facilitators Manual” to deliver the LSTF Curriculum. The manual covers 4 primary areas of Dream A Dream Engagement with children/youth. These include Giving Praise, Creating a Safe Space, Building Personal connections and having Vital Conversations.
- Completed a 5-day intensive training for all Life Skills Facilitators in our LSTF program. The training was conducted by GRS representative Taylor Downs alongwith Lead Facilitators from Dream A Dream.
We look forward to this year with excitement and hope. Everyday brings a smile on our face when we see a child taking on challenges in their life with determination and commitment. You are an integral part of this journey and YOUR support makes all the difference.
We have just launched a campaign to enroll 200 donors in our monthly giving program. You can sign-up to be a monthly giver at Global Giving and ensure that every child at Dream A Dream is able to graduate successfully from our Life Skills program just as Vishnu did.
Thank you. Do visit our website for continued updates at www.dreamadream.org
Girls in our Life Skills Thru Football Program
A girl at our Learning Exposure program