What a children says.
"I'm Hector Saul Rios Romero, I have 11 years. I have learned about the rights of children and if they do not comply, I have fewer opportunities to get ahead. In Mayama I have learned that all worth the same and we all deserve the same respect, and teach us to take care and respect ourselves and we also learn something new every day".
In Mayama, we do this through the Skills Development Program (in Day Centre Mayama), where we work with children (6 to 12 years) for the development their skills in 5 innovates areas:
• I think area (strategies thinking skills (cognitive development), i.e., attention and concentration strategies, definition, analysis and troubleshooting.
• I feel area. Strategies for emotional development and emotional education, to learn to recognize their own feelings, have tolerance to frustration and raising self-esteem.
• I express area. Artistic techniques such as art workshops, painting, sculpture and storytellers for the development communication skills (listening and following directions, expression of ideas in an organized form, active listening and dialogue).
• I relate with others area. This area includes workshops about sex education and addiction prevention, prevention of bad behavior and promotion of good behavior and conflict mediation. Respect and integration of norms about values of empathy, cooperation, solidarity and respect for others to relate better.
• I act area. Workshops to learn breathing techniques and body language, for reducing violence (methodology peaceful behavior), identification and recognizing of positive actions in daily life and self martial arts, yoga.
Mayama is a NGO (Non Governmental Organization) based in Guadalajara, Mexico that supports 180 children and their families in highly marginalized, violence, abuse, exclusion and/or Risk Street situation. Thanks to the daily operation of our Day Centre, these children and their families develop skills for assertive decision-making in order to improve their quality of life and overcome the difficulties of their environment by themselves.
What would you like to tell the children of Mayama? We would be very interested in your feedback and we would make sure to give your message to all of our children and community in Mexico.
Please do come anytime to visit us!
I express area
I feel area (emotional skills)