Jayeshree Shantilal Parmar
Employability Programme for youth in slums
Unemployment is one of the major problems faced by youth in India. Saath noticed that there are many youngsters in Gujarat who have dropped out of schools so that they could work and earn money. But they don’t have proper training for this. So to solve this Saath started employability programs, not in Gujarat but also in Rajasthan.
Objective of the Programme
- To train disadvantaged youth, aged 18-30 years, between 180 - 300 hours and ensure they are placed and try to support of them in relevant jobs with assurance of minimum wages and opportunity for career advancement
- To introduce minimum three innovations that would directly impact retention, skill enhancement, and program sustainability
Duration: July 2012 to September 2012
Total Trained: 1106
Total Placed: 974
Total Undergoing: 636 (in the month of September 12)
Introduction about Programs:
The courses selected for the programs are also a result of market research and need assessment program from the community itself. The courses which are run in these training centres are:
- Computer hardware
The entire above mentioned program is for entry level jobs. We also provide them placement assistance.
The sector has been divided into formal and non-formal trainings:
1. Under non formal trainings:
- Bosch non formal sector job trainings
2. Formal training programs:
For non-formal trainings, SAATH has collaborated with Bosch India Foundation as they both are well known for their qualitative and effective work. They use their expertise in providing opportunity to impart training about safety standards. For formal trainings we have collaborated with Government of Gujarat, American India Foundation and Rajasthan Mission of Livelihood.
Innovations of the program:
- A road show team has been trained and oriented that mobilizes students for all centres to impart skills, trainings and employment to vulnerable youth. The road show team works closely with faculty to mobilize students for each centre. Mobilization is also done by converting walk-ins into enrolments at the centres.
- Staff Trainings and meetings were held with the core team and faculty to discuss issues of quality and target.
- Training of Mobilization team
Two days (21st & 22nd August 12) training was organized at CEE (Centre for Environment Education) for Mobilization team for capacity building and motivation of team members. 20 members participated in the training. Communication, team building, motivation, sustainability etc. topics were covered through various activities, games, audio-video, presentation etc.
- Under the Youth Employability program SAATH have taken up different type of trainings in which women and differently abled person were also included. Different types of trainings are:
- Classroom training
- Practical training
- Safety training- through Bosch Rexroth employee engagement
- Finance training
- Life skill trainings
As a value addition for youth SAATH have organized guest lectures on:
- Health care
- Information on computers and internet
- Motivational aspects
For the persons with disability sensitization lecture is also organized, to take more and more differently abled student sensitized parents are also included for the lecture.
- Certificate Distribution: For appreciating student’s work certificates are also distributed. The reward and recognition initiative was to give faculty and centers a boost and motivate them to achieve targets with quality.
- Advocacy:This provides various benefits such as education to children, medical, training, insurance, financial help for construction and purchase of house, etc. to the people who are associated with the informal sectors.
- Women Focused Livelihood Center
SAATH set up a community based livelihood Centre named “Falah- E- Niswa” at Juhapura (which is an area with a 99% Muslim population) for vulnerable women with the aim of linking them to livelihood resources, providing information and to develop training and capacity building programs to help them get jobs or work from home.
This center will provide the information to women on issues like domestic violence, Educational and Health issues etc and try to guide them to overcome those. Center will also create linkages with other programmes of Saath like Micro Finance, CFS, Urban Resource Center Etc. This will holistically support the women approaching the center.
Activities undertaken are as follows.
- Identification of the courses: English speaking, Computer course (ITES), Beauty Parlour, Hand work, Soft toys making, Glass painting, Cooking & baking, Bag/purse making etc. were identified by the team.
- Mobilization: Group discussion carried out with the women residing in Juhapura area and they were informed about the training program
- Centre location: “Falah-E-Niswa” - a women Development Centre has been started in the month of August 12 in Juhapura.
Women Development Centre- Status as on 30th September 12
Sr No. Centre Name Batch date Trade No. of Women undergoing training
1. Juhapura 15th Sep. 12 Computer Course 23
2. Juhapura 15th Sep. 12 English Speaking 17
TRAINING AND PLACEMENT
During July, 12 to September 12, total 25 batches were carried out covering Gujarat and Rajasthan. Profiling of the students was undertaken by the placement cell at each centre. Students were provided counselling three times during the batch for guidance and placement support to the students. Below mentioned table shows the status for first six months.
Youth Employability Program Status (July 12’ to September 12’)
Male Female Total Male Female Total
General 592 490 1082 560 404 964
Disabled 15 9 24 6 4 10
Total 607 499 1106 566 408 974
SAATH has achieved and gone beyond the target set out for the year 2011-12. Currently SAATH has been requested by multiple nagarpalikas to restart the Umeed program across Gujarat.
Name: Parmar Bhaskar
Center: Meghaninagar, Ahmedabad
Course: Computer Hardware (CHW)
For Parmar Bhaskar, Born in 1994. In their 4 member family his fathers take over all load of his family. He is an 8th pass candidate and he wants to do something for his father and his family. So he wanted to do a job through which his can support his father and his family proud of him. Suffering from unemployment he decided to do some technical course which could be beneficial to him.
He gets information about “UMEED” Program through our Road show team. Our Road show team member explained very nicely and he is impressed with the explanation. He selects Computer Hardware Course for his career. He submitted all of his family and his detail to our “UMEED” center. He asked for the help of the center & center has also responded his equally regarding his training & Placement.
He also said that “UMEED” teach course only in 500/- Rs instead of 5000/- Rs because in the modern age there were price are going higher of everything but our “UMEED” teach poor people in a very low charge. He is thankful to the Saath Charitable Trust & Government of Gujarat for providing the wonderful project of “UMEED’’ for people like them. He hopes that this program continues for many years and like his many child bright their future by joining the “UMEED’’.
After the completing his Computer Hardware Training, Right now he is placed in Data operator assistant, with 5000 /- salary. He is very thankful to “UMEED’’ course because right now the position he gets all credit he had given to “UMEED’’. He is very happy after getting job with the better salary. He also gave compliment that “UMEED’’ change his life, personality and attitude, before the course he was looking for a job with a better salary. But after the trained under the “UMEED’’ course he gets his dream job for that he is very thankful to us.Center hopes that her example will be motivation for many others regarding getting a good job & better salary with having a skill & efficiency.He is right now working at Evantech call center, Vastrapur, Ahmedabad at Tele Caller with salary of 5,500/- Rs p.m.
Name: Parmar Jayeshree
Center: Umeed Saraspur
She is S.Y.B.A. Passed and she got a Admission in B.S.P.A. course . Her batch Duration was 23th May 2012 to 22th August 2012. Her family has 4 members. Her husband doing a job in Readymade Garment & her husband monthly income is Rs.3000/- per Month. But Jayeshree told to us she wanted to Support her Husband so she told us I want a Admission in B.S.P.A. course. She took the Admission in B.S.P.A. She also got a training of Basic computer, English Speaking, And Personality Development. After three month Course she got a job. Currently she is doing a job in Vrundavan Children Hospital as a Junior Nurse and she is getting Rs. 1500/- per Month. Now today she things that she got that she wanted her life.
Quotes from Participants:
1) “Umeed Has given me reason to smile, after completing my training at Umeed I got a job at the Nadiad centre under Aadhar UID Program as a computer operator cum Assistant and rightnow I am earning 5300 rupees, I Just want to thank SAATH for this” Says Shital Vinubhai Gandhi.
2) Dineshbhai says “ masonry training program has boosted my self confidence and now my income has also doubled for which I will be always thankful to Saath Charitable Trust and Bosch India Foundation.”
3) “I was 60% physically disable by birth I didn’t have any goal in life but after joining Umeed’s saraspur center my life has changed SAATH has given me ample support and their training has helped me become more self reliant” says Jitesh Ashokbhai.
Bhaskar PravinBhai Parmar
No age bar for learning - Nazaima Shaikh