El Negrito Project--Honduras
Teleconference April, 13 2011
Bob outlined the status of the project
1. Mayor is considering upgrading first 3km of raw water Pico Pijol line starting at the intake.
2. Alternate considerations for a new 150,000 gal. or 100,000 gal tank either at the existing tank
location or at a new site, yet to be purchased.
EWB SCFL is considering taking responsible charge of the named 3km section of the project.
Efforts to get a route survey and topographic survey through the Municipality with hands on by Brent Honnrlaw have not materialized. Details of the survey requirements supplied by EWB SCFL were outlined to Kelly. Kelly and EWB SCFL team discussed alternate survey procedures.
AGREEMENT ON WAY FORWARD
- Kelly will send us info as a first step in getting existing top of the project site.
- EWB SCFL will do a desk study of this survey information and prepare a route and profile of the proposed pipeline.
- Brent along with the Municipality (and or the peace core lady) will be asked to use our plan/profile and walk/survey the line, making changes as appropriate.
- EWB SCFL TEAM will conduct a second site assessment study for verification of line route and profile.
- EWB SCFL will produce a design for that first 3km and a master plan for the entire length (22km)
- The design will be submitted to EWB USA for review and approval.
- Once approval is given, construction may start.
- EWB SC FL will be responsible to arrange for the funding.
Robert H Williams
Update, May 6, 2011
- During the week ending April 29, Team El Negrito received project site satellite topographic information from Matt Verbyla, EWB liaison officer for Honduras. We have commenced to review same in order to prepare route location and a site topographic map for the proposed pipeline. These maps would not be project conclusive and would need on site verification as noted in “THE WAY FORWARD” above.
- In the meantime, during week ending April 29th, Team El Negrito, received information from the Municipality of El Negrito that they , the Municipality, would be conducting site surveys on the noted 3 Km section of the proposed pipeline.
- During the week ending May 13, Team El Negrito will again be the liaison with the Municipality of El Negrito, in order to sort this apparent two pronged approach to the survey.
Robert H Williams
Update-June 8, 2011
Last evening ( June 7) some members of the team (Juan, Neha and Bob) met with the Mayor of El Negroto, Delvin Salgado.
He gave us an electronic copy of recent survey carried out on the project site. Juan downloaded it onto his laptop. Also included in the electronic data was a design for a new 200,000 gallon water storage tank to be located at the new site. This info has been placed in DROPBOX/6/6/11.
We discussed further EWB-SCFL participation on the project. Whereas we agreed what we are capable of doing, it seems that those activities may conflict with our previous discussions/agreements with EWB-USA.
Two things become very important:
1. Discuss procedural anomalies with EWB-USA and get another ‘way forward’ agreement
2. EWBSCFL meet to review the data supplied and in conjunction with results from discussions with EWB-USA determine the next activities for EWB-SCFL.
Update June 9 2011 (Discussion with Kelly Latham)
Bob outlined the Mayor’s suggestions, that is:
Mayor’s engineers will do design for 1.7 km of pipeline and 200,000 tank
EWB-SCFL would review design and provide cost estimate
EWB-SCFL would over-see the construction
Funding for the construction –how much can EWB-SCFL help?
Kelly indicated that that arrangement does not fit the ideal EWB model
SUGGESTINS FOR WAY FORWARD
EWB-SCFL review design and send to EWB-USA for review and approval
Greatest obstacle may be funding. EWB-SCFL to ensure that the Mayor is aware of this
and do funding projections to get a level of funding possibilities as an initial activity.
EWB-SCFL will approach Rotary and Water for People as two entities that may help in
Note: El Negrito municipality does not yet own the land proposed for the new 200,000 gal tank.
Update June17, 2011
The Mayor has returned to El Negrito. Prior to his departure Juan conveyed to him the future activities of EWB SCFL, and they are:
1. Review of the design now on (Juan’s lap top)
2. Inform the Mayor if there is a need for more field data.
3. When satisfied with the design, we will submit same to EWB USA for review/ comment/ approval.
4. Upon completion of the approval process, EWB SCFL will move their fund raising into high
gear, targeting among other organizations, the Rotary Club and Water for people
Footnote # 1:
During our visit to El Negrito, Robert took the lead in hydraulic/ pipeline analysis/design. If possible, I would like to see Robert take the lead again. Nevertheless, since we are a team each team member is being given the opportunity to conduct his/her own review and submit comments to Robert.
Again, since we are a team, if anyone sees a different process, other than the one being proposed herein, please be prepared to air same.
Juan is now being asked to evaluate the logistics of sending the survey info to team members who are interested in conducting design review.
Footnote # 2:
Upon review of the current update please let us have a telecon on Thursday June 22 at noon.
As usual the telecom # is 1 712 432 1620---PW 832 129