After the genocide in Darfur, there is fragile peace between the North and South in Sudan and much unresolved conflict. Children in this country urgently need our help. BRAC’s schools address the challenges in Southern Sudan by targeting poor children, street children, nomads, child soldiers, and a majority of girls. BRAC offers an accelerated learning program for children who have never enrolled into primary school or who have dropped out by teaching 5 years of primary school in just 4 years.
1) 5 schools built within 1km of students’ houses
2) Female local teachers recruited & trained
3) 70% of students will be girls
4) Teaching methods include culture, music, dance and games
5) Meetings with parents held to ensure their support
Building capacity among these 175 students will enable them to improve their well-being, grow their incomes, and provide for their families. This project is essential in stabilizing Southern Sudan and preventing the spread of Darfur-like genocide.