Dear Donors & Supporters ,
Greetings from IDEA Team.
We are happy to present another report on the programmes and activities under the project. Before that we would like to update you about the programmes and projects of our organization.
Our holistic approach towards minimizing school drop-out amongst the marginalized children is appreciated by many sponsors and supporters like you including international & national foundations like Global Fund for Children ( GFC) , Sir Peter Ustinov Foundation ( SPUF), Volkart Foundation . Corporate associated with us include Symantec , Persistent , Vodafone , Systems Plus etc .
Due to this support , IDEA could expand its programmes and activities to many villages and Govt schools in Haveli & Bhor blocks in Pune districts, Maharashtra state in addition to our work in Pune city. However our focus remains the same- minimizing school drop-out amongst the marginalized children by adopting a holistic approach & creating a ‘ second chance ‘ to the drop out youth.
IDEA’s current programmes & activities are :
- Field studies in urban slums to identify ‘ out of school’ children.
- ‘ Play and Learn centers ‘ & Study centers in slums to make the early stages of education interesting and to inculcate a regular study habit in marginalised children.
- Sponsorship program to support needy and poor children.
- Skill Development programs for girls and women for a supplementary income.
- A facility for imparting Vocational Training especially for drop-out youth to give them ‘a second chance’.
- “Inclusive Education for Socially Disadvantaged People- India Country Project”- to reduce the number of school drop-outs & to promote enrolment of out of school children in mainstream education through school and community based measures of inclusive education.
- Adolescent health education for girls.
- Health monitoring of women above 40 years ( as a support service to parents of our children ).
Report from the field
1. Guidance in Math for high school children.
With the objective to remove the fear of Math from the mind of children & to make Mathematics more interesting ,on 12th Jan 2013, a Mathematics workshop was held for 42 students of 8th & 9th Std . With the use of blocks and glasses , the concept of Square, Cube and the algebraic expression was explained to children. Using graph the area of square and rectangle was also taught in a simple way.
Another session was held on the origin of Mathematics-by a well known teacher and a recipient of Best Teacher award by State Govt. of Maharashtra. 52 children of 9th Std participated attended this session. The session included the beginning of counting, roman numbers, Invention of Zero and about the famous Indian Mathematicians- Bhaskaracharya and Aryabhata. The children and teachers found it very informative.
2. Distribution – Festival dress , Shoes & First aid box
Some very needy children under the project were given festival dress , shoes and socks and a first aid box.
3. Health Check up of Children
A health check up of 153 children from 6-14 years of Ramnagar slum was done on 21st January 2013. It was done with the help of a Nursing college and Government Doctors. The Nursing students also performed a street play on Health and hygiene.
All children were provided with de-worming tablets and multi-Vitamin tablets. The height and weight of each child was recorded. 118 children had no problem; 35 were referred to specialists like eye, ENT, and skin. The common problem of wax in ear and dental caries was identified. A dental awareness session was held for children focusing on the dental structure, daily habits of brushing teeth & proper brushing technique.
4. Co-curricular activities
Children got many opportunities for their all round development through co-curricular activities. It gives them an opportunity to express their hidden talents and also retain their interest in the program.
a. Sports competition
Sports competition for children was held in two areas at Ramnagar, Warje and Shashtrinagar, Kothrud. The competitions held were running race and ball race for 1st & 2nd Std, Lemon & spoon and Book balancing race for 3rd & 4th Std children, Frog Jump and sack race for 5th, 6th & 7th std and slow cycling for 8th and above children. The children gave their best and were in full enthusiasm. The winners as well as the participants were given prizes.
b. Hand writing competition .
Handwriting Competition was held on 4th Feb 2013 in all the centers
c. Children’s Fun Fair (Balmelawa)
This was a whole day event held on 10th Feb 2013 in association with IDEA’s Foundation Day. 282 children and 50 volunteers and staff were present. There were 15 groups Dance performances of the children based on the folk dances of Maharashtra State. Three best prizes were given to the groups.
After lunch, a film show and slideshow on Wild Life was shown to children. The next session was on Shadow Painting. Children made beautiful drawings.
5. Importance of education through puppet show
In one of our project area- a very backward & remote slum, a puppet show was organised for children and their parents on the importance of education and parent’s role in educational development of children. The children & parents enjoyed responding to the questions asked by the puppets.
6. Participation of volunteers in the program.
- ‘Make a Difference’ ( MAD) programme by HDFC bank employees .Every year one Saturday in the month of February is celebrated by HDFC Bank at all locations involving employees . Three employees –Brijesh Nair, Ajay Sonawane & Manesh Shelar visited IDEA’s office and also two Study centers. They have taken drawing activity for the tiny tots & educational games for the kids attending the study center. It was a fun filled day for the kids & the employees.
- The Annual Sports meet & the children’s event ( Balmelawa ) could be organized smoothly due to the involvement of Volunteers from IT Companies -Systems Plus, Symantec & Persistent- along with IDEA staff.
An appeal :
While expressing our sincere thanks to you , we request you for your continued support for the smooth implementation of activities under the project.
Global Giving Bonus Day is just around the corner! It begins on March 13, 2013 at 9 am ET and ends at 11:59 pm ET (GMT-5) or until matching funds run out. On this day Global Giving will match donations at 30%, up to $1,000 per donor per project.
So please don’t forget to make a donation to our project on this day .
HDFC Bank volunteers with children
Children enjoying a feast