Dear Friend and Partner of U&I
We've had a great start to a new academic year and are thrilled to share this journey with you! We have partnered with 4 more organisations, setting up new Learning Centres in their facilities and have also increased the teaching courses in Learning Centres of already existing partners. As of today the U&I Teach Programme has 25 classes a week, offering English and Tuition lessons in 11 Learning Centres set up in partnership with 8 organisations here in Bangalore.
A highly valued partner in the U&I Teach programme this year is the Flippen Group. Established in 1991, the Flippen Group the largest educator training organisation in North America today and has been working in countries across the globe, changing the learning environments in schools and learning institutions. We have been immensely blessed to have trainers from the Flippen Group work with us to customise classroom management tools to fit the needs of our Learning Centres. They also conducted a 2-day training session for all the volunteer leaders and staff and we have since then implemented these tools in all our Learning Centres.
We began the academic year with an intensive 2-day workshop for all the volunteer leaders during which they were given leadership training, introduced to the various roles within the U&I Teach Programme, the tools that would help them work efficiently and the value of teams which they learnt through a number of fun team-building activities.
We also had the Annual Orientation for the 500 volunteers who have signed up for this year. It was a day of much learning, inspiration and lots of fun. Smaller orientations were also conducted to introduce the volunteers to the curriculum, schedules and their roles for the year.
Here is an overview of all our Learning Centres, the children we reach and the courses we teach.
- Ashwini Charitable Trust: This is an NGO that provides non-formal education to the underprivileged children. The English course we run here has 43 students from Standards 3 to 7 and the Tuition course has 24 students from Standards 8 to 10.
- Good Shepherd Home: This is one of our new Learning Centres and it is an orphanage run by the nuns of the Good Shepherd Convent. These girls study in a nearby government school. We teach 25 girls in our English course here.
- Citizen's Foundation: This is also one of our new Learning Centres. It is an orphanage that provides accommodation, food and schooling to orphans. They currently have 26 students who are enrolled in our English course.
- Chaitanya: Chaitanya is run by the Sisters of the Good Shepherd Convent. It is a hostel for young girls studying in St. Euphrasias High School. We have 24 students in the English as well as the Tuition Course that we run here.
- Sparsha Trust: A new partner of U&I, Sparsha Trust is a home for children who have been abandoned, orphaned or neglected by their family and community. Most of the children at the home have never been to a school or have dropped out after a couple of years. We teach English to the 25 children in this home using a very basic curriculum since these children have missed a number of years of schooling.
- Karunalaya: Karunalaya is a home for 24 underprivileged children. The home is run by an elderly couple who provide for the shelter, education and medical care of these children. Here we conduct both English and Tuition classes
- Refugee Home: The Refugee Home is the 4th new Learning Centre Partner and it is a home for children rescued from trafficking. It has 28 children at present for whom we conduct English classes and also help with school work.
- Snehadeep Trust: This is a home and training institute for visually impaired students. At present there are 22 students here who are taught their course work in a Tuitions programme run by U&I.
We are really looking forward to this year and the positive impact its going to have on these wonderful children. All this is made possible by your continued support and encouragement. Thank you once again for believing in what we do here at U&I and for partnering with us to BE THE CHANGE within our communities in need.