Hello, everyone... Time for a Stop the Silence: Stop Child Sexual Abuse update! As usual, there's a lot that has happened in the last three months, and also a lot brewing. As I did in the last report, I'll summarize it, and also invite you to check out the links below as there's lots of additional, really interesting info within those. And, as I did formerly, I have a CHALLENGE for you! Read on -- the Challenge info is toward the bottom.
1. Here are some of the activities that we've been up to this Summer - and what's happening over the next few months!:
- The Kickstarter on-line fundraising was a great success -- we raised $10,000 in about 5 weeks (thanks to all who helped make that happen!) and, as a result, in just a little over three weeks, "Kelpie" returns to the U.S., this time going to San Diego, at the 17th annual Institute for Violence Abuse and Trauma Conference (IVAT) Conference. This will will be our national kick-off for the use of the play by others across the U.S. and internationally, through the stage or movie (see directly below) versions. Tickets are available for San Diego. Click here. Show are on Sept. 8 and 9. Watch the trailer.
- Over the past couple of months, we have been working on booking the brand new "To Kill A Kelpie" MOVIE (!!) and after-show discussions with Matthew McVarish (playwright and actor) and me at 3-5 universities in the U.S., to raise awareness and help catalyze action on university campuses. We are in final arrangements for three universities for the end of October and in November. If you would like to bring Kelpie to YOUR area university or college or to your alma mater, get in touch with me (email@example.com).
- The "Kelpie" film has been accepted into the Reel Affirmations Film Festival in November in D.C. If you're in the area, do try to catch it. Scheduling information should be available soon.
- The 9th annual Race to Stop the Silence is set for Sunday is set for April 14, 2013 (put it on your calendars)!
- Our training and education programming have been gaining steam in the U.S., through churches, schools and other groups.
- Paul Zeitz, Special Advisor to Stop the Silence, and I are and others at Stop the Silence are moving forward with additional international programming through coordination with groups in other parts of the world. We're currently working on the development of programming in Kenya, Ghana, throughout the United Kingdom (and, indeed, the European Union), and other areas, too. We are also working with The Innocence Revolution to bring programming internationally. We'll keep you posted.
2. As I reported last time, Stop the Silence is heavily involved with the Stop Abuse Campaign. Read about the Campaign and take the pledge -- we will all benefit!
3. Some future work of Stop the Silence.
- We are planning LOTS more showings of the "Kelpie" movie in 2012 and beyond with after-screening discussions with each audience. Awareness raising and community mobilization efforts before and as a part of the program are a part of this effort. Planning is going on now. Contact George Zeigler at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Starting in May of 2013, Matthew McVarish will be conducting the "10,000 Mile Walk to Stop the Silence" to EVERY EUROPEAN UNION (EU) CITY. The 10,000 Mile Walk to Stop the Silence will include media outreach, networking with relevant organizations, discussions with policymakers on specific points of policy and policy change, and more. (Matt raised nearly $3,000 for Stop the Silence and the Moira Anderson Foundation in 2011 by walking from France to Spain. You can read all about his harrowing and hysterically-told tale from the 2011 walk in his blog.)
- We are planning to expand our international presence -- as well as our national presence. We intend to increase awareness, training, and community education efforts. Get on the bus with us. We'll take you places (well, figuratively, in any case).
- In 2016, it's time for a ROAD TRIP! Stop the Silence is planning a 50-state tour to bring messages of Awareness, Prevention, and Healing to all 50 states. We'll be reaching out to organizations present in each state, and looking for a couple of highly motivated and skilled individuals ("Sparks") in each state to help us plan and catalyze action. We'll keep you posted!
We Continue to Need Your Help!! Here's the Challenge...
We're currently raising funds on two fronts in particular: for the next Race to Stop the Silence and for Matt's Big Walk in 2013. In the next six months, we need to raise at least $50,000. If you can see your way to making on-going, monthly donations of whatever you can afford, that sure would help! All donations are tax-deductible through our safe Global Giving page.
We really need you. If we all do a little, we can do a lot!!
Thank you all!!
Pamela Pine, PhD, MPH, Founder, Stop the Silence