Well, it's report time yet again! I hope everyone is well and looking forward to the Summer warmth. While there's lots and lots going on, I'll be brief as I think most of you have a pretty good idea of where we've been focused and building. We do need your continued help as Kelpie moves forward across the U.S. (in partnership with various others (Safe Campus/Strong Voices, PAVE, NPEIV, etc.) and in Europe, and probably beyond (in discussions with others) So, as usual, I have a CHALLENGE for you, which is near the bottom of the report!
1. Upcoming 34th Annual Redskins Alumni Charity Golf Tournament, at the prestigious Army Navy Golf Club in Arlington, VA, primarily benefitting Stop the Silence.
This is the 34th year for the Washington Redskins Charity Golf Classic. This year, the Washington Redskins Alumni Association will primarily support “Stop the Silence” (www.stopcsa.org) as their primary charity but will also support The Harmon Foundation for brain tumor research and Warrior Aviation which supports the wounded warriors.
This year the Classic will be held at the exclusive Army Navy Country Club in Arlington, Virginia. We will only sell 30 Teams for this Classic so sign up your team today. Please see important additional information below.
For information or to sign up your team contact Jerry Olsen at 703-726-7488 or email@example.com.
4 Players in the Golf Classic
1 Former Washington Redskins Player as Team Captain
½ Page Color Ad in Tournament Program
1 Hole Sign with Corporate Logo
Lunch prior to Tee Off
4 Tickets to Awards Dinner
Team Picture Plaque for each Member
Winning Team will go to Super Bowl of Golf
Sponsor Package $5,000.00
Super Bowl of Golf:
There are many Charity Golf Tournaments throughout the year but there is only one where the winning team goes on to compete on a national level. The winning team from the Washington Redskins Charity Golf Classic will go on to compete against 28 other NFL cities in the Super Bowl of Golf. The winning team there will receive the exclusive Super Bowl of Golf Ring. All expenses are paid for our team and your alumni Captain.
2. "Kelpie" Theatre production and Film update:
- Bridgeport, W. Va. -- The Vintage Theatre Company, LLC had a great run of To Kill A Kelpie, the play by Matthew McVarish that we use to help raise awareness, educate, and catalyze change, in February, March and April, largely in West Virginia and others will be performing it in other locations. There has been interest expressed by organizations in Maryland and elsewhere so there is a gear up for those productions. As I think you know, we have evaluated the production and it, as well as the film (see below) has been shown to increase awareness, knowledge and intent to act.
- Director Edward M. Smith has finished the film "To Kill A Kelpie," which has been pilot tested at four universities (Cornell, George Washington, Emory, and Indiana), the Center for Contemporary Arts in Glasgow, and at ArtSpace near the National Theatre in London. It has been shown to produce the same results as the play. It will soon be in communitites across the U.S., along with the model I designed with the after-show production and community-based programming! Stay tuned. It is also being screened by Matthew McVarish (see below) with the aftershow presentation and involvement of community-based and other groups across Europe. Contact me if you want to bring it to your university/town in the U.S: firstname.lastname@example.org. Contact Matt if you want to have it shown in the EU: email@example.com.
3. Races and Walks to Stop the Silence updates:
- The 10th annual Race to Stop the Silence was on Sunday, April 14, 2013. It's was 8K Race and Walk and 1K kids' fun run, with speakers, entertainment, booths, and more, and went off without a htich! Thanks to Jeff Ruday for his management of the permit and logistics, Nick Panebianco for his leadership of volunteers and his expert advice on various aspect of the Race, Mark Moseley (National Spokesperson) for his media and other outreach and support, the volunteers, and many others for their help in putting it on.
- As a part of our awareness raising programming, in conjunction with the Race as well as other Stop the Silence programs and projects, I and Mark Moseley and others like Carmen Rodriguez have been doing lots of media with, for examples, Channel 9, ClearChannel Radio, WTOP, WKYS, and many others in the U.S.
- Other areas in the U.S. also conducted the Race as a part of global activities of The Innocence Revolution (e.g., Florida, California). In 2014, the Race is expected to spread further in the U.S. and to Kenya as well.
- On May 31, 2013, Matthew McVarish, European Ambassador to Stop the Silence, and playwright, actor, musician and activist, began the Road to Change: Walk to Stop the Silence, a 10,000 mile walk, bringing information to EVERY EUROPEAN UNION (EU) CAPITAL (31 capital cities in 28 countries). The 10,000 Mile Walk to Stop the Silence includes media outreach, networking with relevant organizations, discussions with policymakers on age of consent and statute of limitations, development of networking products, and more.The aim is to increase awareness and catalyze change across Europe on the issue of child sexual abuse, focusing the policy information on age of consent and the statute of limitations. Matt is currently in France on his way to Luxembourg. Please see www.roadtochange.eu. We Continue to Need Your Help! Here's the Challenge... Help us raise $10,000 by the end of the Summer - ask your friends, colleagues and family to help!
We're currently raising funds on three fronts in particular:
- University-based programming
- Matt's Big Walk
- Overall community-based programming (in conjunction with university and community-based groups).
If you can see your way to making on-going, monthly donations of whatever you can afford, that sure would help! Ask your friends, colleagues and family to raise funds. All donations are tax-deductible through our safe GlobalGiving page. See our website (www.stopcsa.org) for other fundraising mechanisms.
We really need you. If we all do a little, we can do a lot!!
Thank you all!!
Pamela Pine, PhD, MPH, Founder, Stop the Silence