We would like to thank you for your continued interest and support of Life Bloom's mission to build a training center for women and girls. This training center will help to re-educate women in different careers so that they can have the skills, as well as the confidence and support, to leave the sex-work industry. Without your help, we would not have accomplished so much already. And without your continued support, our goal could not be realized as quickly.
What will be done in the coming month?
According to our Memorandum of Understanding signed between LBSI and Women Centers International – a new collaboration for Life Bloom - we shall begin recruiting women from Eastleigh for Leadership and Vocational skills training in the month of September 2012. This will give a chance for more than 40 women to receive training before the end of the year. Currently, only 3 women have received programmed training, two are doing very well in their business after leaving the brothels.
We also hope to increase fundraising through corporate connections within Naivasha and Nairobi.
What supplies are needed next?
We need bags of cement, sand and ballast and stones.
How many different women, total, have worked on the foundation?
13 women worked to dig the foundation trenches; while 15 have worked on the metal (stabilizing) bars.
What funds are left/needed to get the center to the point where LBSI can move in while the remainder is being completed?
When done with the foundation, we plan to employ a strategy of putting up one room after another, (there is a way that this is possible in Kenya). This makes it easier to approach companies or individuals that would like to have a room to their name.
(Updated details) summary of the funds raised to date:
- Funds from within Kenya: $5058
- Global Giving site: $8232
- Directly through Kenya Help or the LBSI account: $9752
- Funds from Kenya and USA from March-to-date: $6937
Summary of total expenses to date:
- Purchase of piece of land and change of ownership process: $7883
- Discounted Structural drawings/Designs - $2176
- Discounted Approvals by the Government of Kenya: $882
- Fencing off of piece of land and construction of site store: $1241
- Purchase of materials, constructions to date and labor costs: $17,769
Summary for foundation costs:
- Total cost projected: $46,656
- Total expenditure:$ 17769
- Yet to be raised: $ 28887
Woman receives training
Unwrapping binding wire, w/Catherine (far right)