Lovely Workshop Attendees
What an incredible meeting yesterday! But it was no easy task attempting to reign in and focus all of our wonderful, creative thinkers. It is especially exciting to see the increasing number of survivors who are joining us to prevent others from being victimized!
1) Priority: reinforce our outreach strategies to at-risk girls and build advocacy among youth in SE Portland through
- continued weekly workshops
- increase the number of leadership teams and workshops throughout the week
- remain mindful and purposeful in developing relationships while bringing redeeming hope in Christ
- maintain purposeful connections with DHS, schools, apartment managers, churches and businesses
2) Host a "Dress for FREEdom" event in March. Last year's event attracted 48 girls living in foster care or shelters along with their caseworkers and foster families. Youth group's from several churches collaborated to make the event spectacular. Christina shared her story and the girls were on the edge of their seats: very powerful. This year's event would add an adopt-a-dress element to encourage attendees to pick out two dresses: one prom or banquet dress to take home and one as their restoration project at a Design Studio workshop.
3) Hold a fashion show to raise awareness and fight trafficking through the Adorned in Grace Bridal and Formalwear in May or June. Incorporate a segment for re-purposed / re-created entries as an illustration of the hope that we communicate to the girls: the Great Designer can take the tattered fabric of our lives and transform it into a Beautiful Work of Art.
4) A professional architect is working on the build-out of the 2,400 sq ft of donated space and getting very close to securing the City permits to begin construction so that we can expand our capacity for working with the girls and holding these community events on-site.
Thank you for being a vital part of Adorned in Grace, Compassion Connect, Inc. and the Church as it reaches out to vulnerable and exploited women and girls. May the Lord continue to be Present through your love and faithfulness.
Linda and the Team