Koti a young girl who was defiled and now pregnant
PPDR UGANDA REPORT ON THE GLOBAL GIVING OPEN CHALLENGE (10 DAYS OF THE FUNDRAISING CAMPAIGN
The organization People for Peace and Defense of Rights (PPDR Uganda) is participating in the Global Giving Open Challenge which is a fundraising opportunity for grass root organizations to raise funds for their projects.
Our links to the project is: http://www.globalgiving.org/projects/basic-needs-to-150-refugees-children-in-kampala/ or http://goto.gg/8468
In these 10 days PPDR Uganda has received the following items for the project:
1. Six (6) sitting benches and number of exercises books, pens for poor children to write in, 40 story books for students to read from the Finnish Refugee Council (FRC)
2. Twenty five ($25) which was donated by a donor to buy books and the following books have been bought: MK Grammar Book (1), Mathematics Primary four (1), Sciences Primary Four (1), Social Studies Primary Four (1).
3. A donor has provided transport to a young girl of 17 years who has been sexually abused.
4. Our project link has been visited by almost 100 people and has been shared by almost 90 people.
During the 10 days of the fundraising campaign we have faced the following challenges:
1. No money has been contributed to the project.
2. We have a problem of Electricity here in Uganda, in many days the electricity has been off and this does not favor us to contact our friends about this project.
3. Some people do not understand what they should during the fundraising campaign (two major things to be done during the campaign. You either donate money to the project directly or fundraise for this project by talking to your friends about this project and asking them to donate for its success).
4. Few people have so far participated in this fundraising campaign comparing to last April. We have lost contact with a number of our friends on facebook and we don’t know how best we can communicate to them.
5. Most of our traditional donors who have contributed to our past project do not communicate with us at all. Yet according to Global Giving, project do succeed because donors are more involved. We don’t know how best we can communicate with them.
We are still reaming with twenty days of the campaign and we think that it is possible to reach the goal of $4,000 so that we can qualify for the open Challenge and secure a permanent spot on Global Giving for more fund. For that the following should be done:
1. We should utilize to the maximum the little time we have for power at the office for this campaign.
2. We need people to volunteer for this fundraising so that they can be our voice when we don’t have power
3. We need donors so that we can achieve the goal of $4,000 and not only giving some money nut also mobilizing the friends and family members to also support this project.
It is our hope that this project will raise some money which will enable to send some refugee children to school this year and if we shall do that then we need people of good will to donate to this project. This project is still very far and more efforts should be done so that it can pass through.
New benches donated by the Finnish Refugee Concil
PPDR Old classes
PPDR new classes which is still under construction
Kambale after learning English is now in P6
Koti and her 1st child after being defiled
Alvine in level 2 she needs now school fees
Mwamini is 15 this is her 1st time at school
Ester 12 needs school fees formal education
George has never been at school since 2004