Training Session in Process
Artpreneurs for Change wrapped up its activities of Round 1 in the first week of June 2013. The activities began in March 2013 and they consisted of:
- Selecting individuals to be trained by an internationally certified art therapist. The training spanned over a period of about 24 hours and included different art as therapy activities, different developmental psychological theories, how to engage the clients in group therapy, and a short session on disability sensitization
- After the training, the Art as Therapy Practitioners (selected individuals who underwent training) were sent into the schools where they worked with children with disabilities over a period of 12 weeks. The disabilities they worked with include: physical disabilities, intellectual disabilities, hearing impairments, children on the Autism Spectrum, and Down's Syndrome
- Many of the Art as Therapy Practitioners noticed a gradual change in the behaviour as well as in the social interactions of the children. In some cases their emotional development was visible in the artwork while in some it was visible in their stories and their interactions with the Art as Therapy Practitioners
- Any queries would be addressed in the support and supervision session with the art therapist.
- All of the sessions were wrapped up successfully. Some of the Art as Therapy Practitioners were so influenced by their experience that they have requested to continue working with their respective groups in the next round.
Another achievement in the past three months is that we managed to set up an exhibition for artwork from our pilot round. The main purpose of the exhibition was to create an awareness of art as therapy as a practice amongst people in the Karachi art community. We managed to, successfully, reach out to a lot of people as well as to sell about 11 paintings.
Our aim is to continue having more exhibitions so that we can not only generate some funds for the project, but also continue in creating an awareness about art as therapy. Currently we are in the process of promoting our activities using different forums, along with planning for Round 2.
During an Art as Therapy session
A piece of 3D artwork done during the sessions
A View of our Stall at the Exhbition