Women welcoming us
The Rural Women's Empowerment Network:
- 2010, presented in Bugiri, Lumino, and Masaba to groups of female and male adults, whole day presentation in each setting
- When the town councils have gatherings, the 'Trainers of Trainers' are called to make presentations.
- They have made 3 visits so far to sex worker groups in Busia
- Janet and Rose have a group of 25 that meet weekly for savings and agriculture
- They meet monthly with the positive test clubs in 3 parishes; total about 120 people
- Plans to start talk with sex workers at truck park near cement factory
- Speak with people after church weekly. Funerals are another informal venue for HIV/AIDS survival skills topics
- Meet with 3 positive test clubs, total 90 members
- Visit local schools and present dramas about HIV/AIDS
- Identify and counsel positive members at their homes
- Train prevention of mother/child transmission, and have trained 2 additional counselors in this area
- Coordinate with disabled group for increased survival skills training and IGA (income generating activities)
GOALS / FUNDING NEEDS
- One day training at Amonikakinei Village
- Three day training Aug. 2011
- School fees, uniforms, seeds, blankets, mosquito nets, female condoms
Additionally the Busia Group has a nursery school caring for 170 poor children and a primary class to primary 4 for 70 children. 150 of the children are orphans. Several children are HIV+. The trainers have taught nutrition to parents and guardians.
Children lining up for lunch
Child not in school
Old women next to house group built for her.