Part of the community members at work
PROVIDE SAFE, CLEAN WATER FOR KIBERA SLUMS, KENYA
Project report prepared by:
Leonard Nyongesa (email@example.com)
Programs Coordinator, The Ngao Foundation
C/o Centre of Love Kibera
On behalf of the Centre of Love Kibera and the larger community, we are very grateful for the overwhelming love and continuous support and particularly in the light of the COVID-19 pandemic. This is the Centre that Patrice Henning and other friends have dedicated their time and passion to volunteer. Indeed, her leadership in resource mobilization cannot be taken for granted. There is a huge impact to thousands of families to the Kibera slum community due to services offered by the Centre.
In response to the many needs around the world access to clean, safe drinking water for the community has been a challenge. The unprecedented dangers of the corona virus made it worse as the government had threatened to close down our Centre that serves over 500 families, if the water station wasn’t installed. Access to clean, safe drinking water and handwashing has gained a new value and therefore, leading to water shortages especially in the informal settlement of Nairobi and where our Centre of love is located.
Today, the faces of the families in our community are shining bright with expectation that the water project you have been donating to is almost complete. The major developments that your donation has done involves the following:
- Mobilizing, creating awareness and training the community about the project, including hand washing and social distancing.
- The government gave permission and license to our Centre to operate a water refiling station for the community in Kibera Slum.
- The water has already been connected at the Centre. Although, the connection and pipes were done almost 900 meters away from the source, with meanders in the neighborhood, the taps are running and the handwashing stand installed.
- A water refilling kiosk has been constructed with water tanks installed.
- Electricity has also been connected to the kiosk.
- This is one of the most impactful projects because it has not only taken the efforts of the experts to construct but also participation of the community members; men, youth and women in every step of the process.
- Mr. Mumo, the Centre Director is full of gratitude and can't wait to see the whole project complete.
Meanwhile, a few things that are yet to be done include;
- Carpeting the floor of the kiosk
- Painting the facility so that it can look better
- Installation of water filtering machine
With availability of funds, this can be completed within a week and the project will be ready to serve the community. As the project is yet to be completed, we request that you consider giving your donations so that we can wind up. The donation link is; https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/provide-safe-clean-water-for-kibera-slums-kenya/.
For sustainability of the project, we are also asking for your continued love and as our partner to register as a monthly donor. Monthly donations are important because they help in meeting operational emergencies. You can register a monthly donation from as low as $10, $20, $50 and any other figure of your choice. To donate monthly, please go to the function; Donate Now, and select; Give monthlyas you submit your gift.
Water project work in progress
Installation of a water stand
Erection of water tanks on the stand
Water kiosk constructed and electricity connected
The status of the project, almost complete