3, 2, 1... GO! It is time for numeracy training!
When we asked Ivan if he liked the classes he receives 2-3 times a week, he replied “yes!” So, we asked him “why?” to which he replied that he liked them because we taught him stuff that he usually does not learn while working on the streets:
“I have learned the vocals: a, e, i, o, u...
Besides, I have learned to write my name. Before I only knew that it started with “I”…
I have also learned that I have rights.
The right I like the most is the right to education, because I enjoy studying.”
Thanks to you andyour help, we have been able to continue our work inthe hostile streets of Guadalajara.
In June and July in total 34 enthusiastic, energetic and smart children have received 34 hours of classes. During these classes, our three dedicated educators have mainly been focusing on literacy and numeracy training, but they also take their time to ensure that the boys and girls:
- Receive help with their homework
- Have space with time for educational and fiscal activities, so they can release some of all their pent-up energy, to concentrate better
- Improve their health attention, primarily working on better hand hygiene and explaining “why” it´s important to sanitize their hands
Besides educational attention, we have conducted psycho-pedagogical counselling and evaluations of the boys and girls we work with (when we find it needed), to meet their needs and attend them better individually, and help them in their educational and personal development.
In June and July, 20 children and one mom received a total of 52 sessions, where the children have been working and acknowledging themes such as:
- Temper and emotional strengthening, to decrease the “exploding” in frustration
- Self-recognition, by identifying emotions, such as happiness, anger, calmness, sadness, fear etc.
Furthermore, six extern counselling with a specialist were conducted, to detect cases of mental disabilities such as autism.
To wrap up: Thank you! Without you, this progress had not been possible.
There is no such thing as little help; all help helps.
Remember to see the colors in the dark moments.
Learning what is healthy and what is not.