"Brazil is facing a learning crisis" and "there are still many concerns about the quality of education and the relevance of the skills that students are acquiring", warns the World Bank's work for Brazil (Skills and Jobs: An Agenda for Youth).
With impressive basic education network’s numbers (184,100 schools of basic education, 80% of which public, a total of 48.6 million enrollments, in which 82% are at public education, and 2.2 million teachers), the latest School Sense (2017) showed that Brazil still have 2.5 million children and youngsters not enrolled in schools.
According to the National Literacy Assessment (ANA), released by the Ministry of Education (MEC) in October 2017, more than half of the students in the 3rd year of elementary school have insufficient level in reading and mathematics tests. And even worse, according to MEC, the rate of students with insufficient reading is 54.73% (insufficient level indicates that students cannot identify the purpose of a text and locate explicit information). In writing, 34% of the students are at the worst level, not being able to write the words alphabetically and producing illegible texts.
We need to mobilize! We need Education Now!
WHAT HAVE WE DONE?
Engaged leaders and influencers, begin to promote and raise the awareness of their networks about the importance of quality Basic Education in Brazilian. At least 8 events, over the course of this year, will put education on the agenda. And more importantly, the events will be, in addition to presentations and discussions’ platforms, a recognition way of good practices.
In this election’s year, we should be all together for one objective: to make quality basic education a priority on the political agenda. It is strategic that education become the plan and priority of governments
HOW HAVE WE DONE?
Our efforts are centered on the engagement of politicians and candidates in the cause, in a non-partisan way as Todos have always done.
Among our works are:
• Broadening the debate on Education: we intensified the communication’s actions from January 2018.
• Make quality materials on Education: including editorial projects for the entire year.
• Propose improvement in the management and financing of Education: in conjunction with experts, funding proposals in order to give more to States, Municipalities and Schools that have less.
• Bring together people in favor of educational transformation: we bring together a group of experts and technicians to discuss and propose measures that guide education policy.
• Focus on the teaching profession: Construction of the Teacher Profession’s agenda, including specialists, teachers, managers and other civil society organizations, to think about the attractiveness of the teaching career, working conditions and initial and continuing training of our future and current teachers .
If it depends on Todos Pela Educação, 2018 will be a great year for the Brazilian Basic Education.
Let's go, together?
Be, you too, part of Todos Pela Educação (All for Education)
Team Todos Pela Educacao